Sunnie the Brumby.

Moderator: El_Freddo

El_Freddo
Master Member

Sunnie the Brumby.

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey all,

Here's the brumby we got for my girlfriends mum (I brain washed her into getting a brumby :twisted: - now I may be a brumby "owner" vicariously...)

I've dubbed it bluey, you should beable to work out why:

Reason for blue doors and no front panels is that we are getting the rust fixed properly by an old school friend. He's a master at his craft of panel beating and spray painting. I love watching him do his work. Both doors had rust holes in the front bottom section of the doors - got a second set from pick a part to get the RWC while the originals are repaired.

We got a windscreen panel from Steve - Last Celtic Warrior - thanks steve, it worked a treat (pics coming). Other little areas to fix up are some bubbles of rust under the paint in the tray (about an inch above the seam on the floor), no holes there just surface rust to be fixed.

Last friday i fixed the slop in the gearstick - slot, drill and bolt worked a treat.

Future plans (read - my future plans): MY couple analogue Dash (tacho etc), keyless entry, electric windows, L series 5 speed. And maybe a few years later an EJ20 with no G.

I'll keep you all posted with what happens - hopefully the windscreen will be going in tomorrow and a RWC done later in the week with a "put him back together" session wednesday night.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:29 pm

Looks like your on your way to a decent little brumby there, wish i had a targa top on mine. Good luck and keep us updated. And also now we have two brumbys on the forum named bluey.
Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:23 am

you can pay the roalties by check, cod or money order. haha.

serious, nice ute how many kms? also what coulour are you gunna paint her? blue??
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:42 am

maxxair wrote:you can pay the roalties by check, cod or money order. haha.

serious, nice ute how many kms? also what coulour are you gunna paint her? blue??
Km's: 310xxx

Colour will be white, the doors will be swapped back to the originals once their repaired without a paint job just yet as its still holding up well and finances don't allow that at the moment, we just want it on the road for some fun.

I've got the deni ute muster in mind now :twisted: That should be fun, especially if we get a group of Brumbys there...

Can't wait to whip those glass targa tops off in summer on a cruise... I'd really love to get me my own brumby but being at uni trying to get by doesn't allow me to run two cars (let alone one at times!)

Cheers

Bennie

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:34 pm

so this brumby is for you really hahah i bet you'll buy it off your gf's mum when shes done with it lol

BrennyV

Post by BrennyV » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:35 pm

haha i think ya hit the nail on the head there ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VER7 STI (FOR SALE) & RIP EJ22 AWD LEONE
PIX @ www.webshots.com/user/4muff

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quote ... 02861.html

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Subafury wrote:so this brumby is for you really hahah i bet you'll buy it off your gf's mum when shes done with it lol
BrennyV wrote:haha i think ya hit the nail on the head there ;)
That was discussed even before we got it... We had been looking for the right brumby for 6 months before finding this one. I didn't get to do any work on it last night as my mate was out and I can't get in his shed when he's away.
Hopefully tomorrow will see her all back together...
I'm also waiting for pics to be emailed to me of the work done. When I get these i'll post them up.

Cheers

Bennie

PS I'm pretty keen to bring this one to WA with me next time, but also keen to bring ruby scoo again too - only i'll probabily have to pry it away from gf's mum (with permission)...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Quick update before I get some pics up to show you all the finished product.

The car's name is actually Sunnie, I gave it the name of bluey due to the blue doors, but they were never rego'd with the car and gail called it sunnie in the mean time.

So, Sunnie is now rego'd, got that sorted yesterday. He's looking good out there on the street - we're hoping to get him into a garage or at least under some sort of canvas roof in the driveway.

I hope to get some pics sorted asap, but my computer that has the program for the kodak digi camera is at my parents :( so it may be a long time between drinks so to speak.

Now to get her to take sunnie bush for some photos ;)

Cheers

Bennie

tex

Post by tex » Sun May 18, 2008 5:56 pm

yeah deni is the go I took mine last year and saw heaps, plus you can fit four cartons behind the seats then put some jackets on top and you're laughing! Pity I can't make it
otherwise count me in for sure.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Sunnie Build pics

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:05 pm

Hey all, here are some pics of sunnie being "fixed up" with the end result. Enjoy:

Windscreen rust, driver's side:

Rust cut out:

Replacement part put in (thanks Last Celtic Warrior):

More work before being prepped for spraying:

Now to the doors, both had the same treatment - this is with the outter skin removed exposing the inner frame/structural metal:

From some "donor" touring wagon doors, the replacement panel:

More work:

Before spray prep (some bog used to smooth out the finished product):

Keep scrolling, more to come... Four to be exact.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 pm

Dolled up for some makeup:

Sunnies getting a lick of paint too:

Almost all back together before seeing daylight:

The end product - very happy:

We're glad that the car came to us with its original doors fixed rather than the blue doors, looks so much better and saves with playing around later on.

A special thanks goes out to Ant, an old mate that I called on to do the work. He's a master craftsman, love his work and his passion for it.

Coming soon to Sunnie will be air conditioning, power windows, central locking and keyless entry (if I get my way ;)). Til then I'll keep looking for parts, got a few collected, still need a few more bits before they all go in though.

I'll leave off here for now.

Cheers

Bennie

dodzy

niiiice

Post by dodzy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:40 pm

nice work guys!!!!!!!!!!!

veryyyy nice

its a shame that rust is the only thing that kills the MY's

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Wow, that is impressive... Great skills!
How were the rims sprayed, did the tyres get taken off?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:24 pm

Bumpty wrote:Wow, that is impressive... Great skills!
How were the rims sprayed, did the tyres get taken off?
The rims were sprayed with the tyres on... Ant's really good at his masking ;)

Very little overspray, any that was there is gone now :D

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:57 pm

Now got all the bits for the sports dash. As some of you may have read I've been asking about the sports dash or 6 guage analoge dash plugging into the digi dash wiring loom.

My answer is that the UNDER DASH WIRING IS NO. My compairing of under bonnet looms shows that they are the same with the exception of the single/dual headlights. Also the engine wiring section to the blue plug is missing a wire for the oil pressure guage but is in the rest of the loom.

So, here are some pics:

^After finding out the above about the underbonnet loom, I re-taped up the under dash loom that I had stripped last night at 1am - I couldn't sleep so started on the wiring after getting it late arvo from a pick a part on the otherside of melbourne.

To keep the odometre reading as true as possible I rewound the reading from 356xxx to 312888km, the car is currently on 312496 and is in melbourne, has about 200km to travel to get to benders.

Hopefully I can get the dash in the car before it moves over the 312888 shown on the sports dash. Here's the final pic:

The entire dash board came from an '84 touring wagon, with digi dash. I've got the under bonnet loom from this as well as the air conditioning and power steering. The sports dash that now resides in the dash board came from an '83 leone 4 door with single headlight under bonnet loom.
Since the sports loom, touring wagon under bonnet loom and the brumby's rear end loom will all plug in together this exercise should be a "plug and play" with the only problem I can see being the dual headlights. Time will tell. I'm hinging on this being a plug and play, just need some dry weather to get it in as I don't have a shed up here to utalise and the one at my pero's is full of stuff.

After this is sorted the power steering will go in when I have time, then the air conditioning will get a new condensor and gassed when we have the time and funds sorted as its not a priority atm.

I can't wait to get it in the car, its going to look sweet compared to the standard guages that are in there now (plus I don't like the orange glow at night)... The only thing I have to do is sort out the wiring for the engine from the brumby for the auto choke and the extra wire for the oil pressure guage...

After all thats done I should look at getting my L sorted with EJ stuff or start saving for my own targa brumby to mod :twisted: I just gotta make sure I don't talk Gail into an EJ as the little EA81 is serving her well!

Cheers

Bennie

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:50 pm

there may be 3 or 4 wires for the rear section of the car in the wrong place on the plugs or there was when i put my glf5 dash in 1992 brumby
there easy to figure out and come out of the plug with the help of a safety pin

and the auto choke is controled by a black box on the firewall above the fusebox under the dash the only place i could find a wireing diagram for it was on the 1985-1986 sedan and wagon diagram in the gregorys manual
its called engine revolution sensor because its also controls the fuel pump no tach signal no fuel pump safety feture put the car on its lid and it dosent pump fuel everyware.

ps: if u swap the wiper sw out for one from a glf5 u dont have the rear wiper there doing nothing no rewiring required
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:18 pm

I like that dash layout! What are those four small gauges around the speedo and tacho? One would be temperature, and one the fuel level, but what are the others?

I'm also crazy jealous. I want a brumby, damnit. (And that dash layout would suit me, too.)

One thing, though, what's the legality of winding back the odometer like that? I know you aren't winding it back further than the car has actually travelled, but don't they frown on that sort of thing?
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:27 pm

Temp, Fuel, Volts, and Oil Pressure (but have to hook in a sender so it works)

tis a very nice dash i wuld prefer one over my Digi dash (Digi is unreliable methinks)

also wts that display ont he left tell you? Range, CLock etc?

Brumby is looking very Nice now.
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:21 pm

Hey Thalas,

Yeah, as matatak said, volts top left, fuel bottom left, oil pressure top right and temp bottom right.

Matatak, the part off to the left is the 4wd lights etc and a clock. No trip computer on this little puppy.

If you find one of these dashboards grab all the wiring behind it, that should be all you need except the pressure sender as mentioned. You can run another wire for this into your existing loom so long as you have 5 pins in your blue plug from the loom to the engine - it doesn't matter if the engine loom doesn't have it as you can add it.

Dash might not go in til this weekend...

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 pm

Thalass wrote:One thing, though, what's the legality of winding back the odometer like that? I know you aren't winding it back further than the car has actually travelled, but don't they frown on that sort of thing?
I'm not sure about that - I'm not trying to defraud someone by false representation so I really don't know. I guess it is frowned apon but for our purpose it keeps the "brumby's records" as close to original as possible, hopefully with a few more km shown that what's been travelled. Photos of the "new and old" dash will be taken in the same image before installation...

Don't worry mate, I want a brumby of my own too ;) Just take your time in looking, we may have rushed this one at the time but are very happy with it now since having all the rust fixed in it - there is some surface rust in the tray I'll be hitting this summer to get rid of it.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “El Freddo”