Engineer help

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Kenny_G

Engineer help

Post by Kenny_G » Sat May 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Was wondering if anyone can help me to contact someone regarding getting all the info needed to put an ej engine in my brumby ? I know they changed the rules and regulations on engine conversions last year in N.S.W. I know there is a mob in Penrith but im in the hunter valley, and they want to see the car itself at the workshop. Anyone know of any others ??? :)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sat May 19, 2012 6:34 pm

They'll either laugh at you or charge you thousands of dollars.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat May 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Kenny G
I had my 1982 MY wagon certified for the 2" lift kit by Mullen Automotive in Cardiff (Newcastle)
The problem is he was totally stuffed around by the authorities who had anything to do with the new NSW rules of vehicle mods so he went from something like Christmas 2011 to only fairly recently fighting with the powers to be to first regain he engineering accreditation and then the necessary insurances required. This means he is only taking existing customers only till his back log is gone. This could take months though.
Can I suggest you go to Facebook and type in Mullen Automotive and the whole sorry store is there. Once I get myself sorted and financial I would like to put a 2" lift kit in the L series but before I do this I will be contacting Mullen Auto so see if he will take me as I have used him before or if I have to wait like other new customers. You could give him a call and see if he can advise you. He obviously is very busy but you may be lucky. I would suggest having all you facts written down in front of you to answer any question he may have though to save time.

Kenny_G

Post by Kenny_G » Sun May 20, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks Cliff,
I will definately give that a try. I will keep u posted.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 20, 2012 7:54 pm

The rule changes have allowed suitably qualified mechanics with AUVIS inspector status to apply to do same engineer certification as the engineers themselves, with the intention to spread the service a little thicker than the previous limited supply of certified signatories. Contact 1300 137302 and ask for a current list of signatories

Kenny_G

Post by Kenny_G » Mon May 21, 2012 11:48 am

I have found quite a few people that are qualified under the new rules.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... 5_2012.pdf

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon May 21, 2012 11:53 am

Great list.
I have been looking for this for a while.

Kenny_G

Post by Kenny_G » Mon May 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Ur not wrong, one of them is only 30 minutes away

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon May 21, 2012 5:02 pm

Kenny_G wrote:Ur not wrong, one of them is only 30 minutes away
I cant remember his name but back in the early 80's I had a 1969 Datsun 1600 sedan with a 2 litre 200B engine in it.
This needed an Engineers approval so I took it to a bloke up between Cardiff and the John Hunter Hospital. All went OK in the end so before when I was looking for an Engineer to approve the 2" lift in the MY I tried the same bloke again. He seemed to have absolutely no idea what was needed to pass this car and wanted to disconnect various brake lines to test the car under a heaps of different braking conditions. In the end this is how I ended up with Mullen Engineering. I got facts and results in the safesty possible way.
My point is I dont see the bloke I avoided on the list any more (cant recall his name anyway but would if I saw it) but there may be Engineers out there who want to put the car to the moon and back before passing it.
Best of luck and let us all know how you go.
Which Engineer are you thinking of going to ?
If Mullen are booked up for years to come I may see your (potential) bloke.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 pm

I have been using Fink Engineering Wollongong.

1st consultation is $500 to ge tall the things listed that needs to get fixed, then a subsequent $500 to pass everything else so as she can go in for a blue slip.

Passed the first inspection, i just need to get my surge tank figured so it runs smoother.
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Wed May 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Holy crap (feel free to add gutter language right now) !!
Do I read this right a grand for an engineers report !!
Is this since the new regulations ?

AshR

Post by AshR » Wed May 23, 2012 9:10 pm

yeah 1k sounds about right.

least in vic we only have to pass rwc to drive around, then when you mod get eng if you're going to sell the car again :p (or the police pull you up and defect your car)

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed May 23, 2012 9:18 pm

Cliff R wrote:Holy crap (feel free to add gutter language right now) !!
Do I read this right a grand for an engineers report !!
Is this since the new regulations ?
Not many reputable engineers will put themselves on the line. Also not many would sign off an EJ powered older model without some serious mods to back it up like brakes etc.

The ones that would do it would charge a bomb for the privilege.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk 2
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:43 pm

ps 1k is nothing lol.

rough ROUGH quotes to engineer suspension lift, engine conversion for me were 3-7k.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:50 pm

My father who is about to turn 87 (mom is already 84) is making noises about giving us their car.
I am used to seniors talking about dying, my parents have been doing this for years. Anyway, their car is a 1998 Suzuki Vitara Estate Wagon, fully optioned with less than 60 thousand ks on it. It is only the 4 cylinder and not the V6 but it still has enough power to be comfortable.
If they insist on giving it to us (I intend to try to convice them to sell it to give them some cash) I will have to sell one of my Subaru's.
Based on all this stuff we have been talking about re pricing of Engineers certificates I may not be able to afford to get a lift kit into the L series so will have to keep the MY which is already certificated in NSW.
All this seems to be a money grap by our various governments.
How are people intending to keep their Subaru's alive and viable as 4WD's if we cant afford the costs of certification.
Are we going to "hang the consequences", modify and see how we go with Police and defects. ?
Just wondering.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:25 pm

Welcome to the modified car world mate!

Heres what I did with my first car, modified it completely fully knowing that everything was illegal because it could not be engineered (not dangerous, just out of vicroads specs).

Run the risk of getting done by the police but don't drive like a moron and keep it looking like a sleeper. About all you can do.

This brumby is th first car i've ever tried to make legal and its going to cost me 5 times what i want to spend. and even with those papers if a cop is having a bad day they can write me up anyway and i still have to get those 'defects' cleared at my expense/time ven though its completely legal.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:12 am

The weird thing in NSW is a car such as a Subaru fitted with a 2" lift kit will pass a rego check every year if it has no other issues.
If the Police were to defect the car due to the lift kit it then needs a full check (used to be called a Blue slip) where it will fail due to the non engineered kit.
I am not complaining I just dont get how in theory a car with a kit can fully pass rego one day and the next be defected by the Police, so it then goes back to the rego station where it had passed the day before and then not pass.
Something wrong with this system me thinks.
I do recall when I had the MY Engineered for its lift kit the Engineer did ask if there was anything else I needed passed as it was cheaper to have multiple items passed rather than just the one and have to come back later to have more passed.
If this is still the case under the new rules then maybe if someone could sort themselves out enough/have the money to do what they want to, they could fit a kit, fit an upgraded engine, different wheels, etc and get it all engineered in one hit.
Of course few if any of us would have the money to do all this in one go. I know I certainly dont but if I did it would be the way to go.

Macca

Post by Macca » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 am

B00sting wrote:ps 1k is nothing lol.

rough ROUGH quotes to engineer suspension lift, engine conversion for me were 3-7k.
BOOSting

I,m about to modify my brumby to 2.00 litre standard engine.

Any tips or contacts you have would be appreciated.

Want to do it legal with EO if possible.

Appreciate your assistance
Regards,

Macca.
84 & 91 Brumbys
2012 Impressa

tambox

Post by tambox » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:05 pm

There's an interesting theory that was put to me by Vicroads.
If a car has been modified with "bolt on" modifications, no chassis, compenent or body cutting, and has an engineers certificate, the "concept" has been approved.

This works along the lines of HDT or FPV.

If you can get a certificate, that lists all the changes you have made, have it inspected by a mechanic, who writes a letter saying that the modifications have been done as per engineers certificate, this will be accepted.

If you cut stuff, bad luck, engineers only.

If you dont, and follow somebody elses engineering approved bolt on mods, you can use their cert. This opens a whole new can of worms.

Is this viable?
Is it worth opening an engineers approved mods forum?
Could people that have paid engineers for a cert benifit $ from assisting others?

Worms and thoughts?????
L serious, still.

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:07 am

Good idea Tambox. A new thread in the Vic section where people can mention their vehicle and it's VASS approved modifications. I have one and would be happy to help out anyone to approve their H6 Gen 2 Liberty :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”