another brumby conversion.

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
benno1

another brumby conversion.

Post by benno1 » Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Hello to everyone as this is my first post.

I have an 82 MY Brumby, a 92 liberty 4wd manual wagon I plan to use for parts and a ej20t auto import engine/gearbox with wiring harness and computer.

The ej20t has a broken inlet cam pulley. Would a valve have hit a piston and caused damage (bent valve etc) or can I just throw a new cam pulley on and all fixed?

are there better after market cam pulleys I can buy?

Aparently it is out of a jap spec forrester late 90's mod. has anyone converted their brumby to auto? if so are there any pitfalls to look out for.

It seems that a lot of parts are interchangable in the earlier subis so will the power steering rack from the liberty fit the brumby or is a MY power steering rack essential.

any other info you can suggest would be great

benno1.

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:37 pm

is it a single or a quad cam engine
most of the single cam (one cam wheel eighter side) are non interferance

for a late 90 car you have to take the key and ring from the doner car with the imobliser modules to get the car to start

im sure someone here put a liberty steering rack in a brumby or wagon
but it was a lot of messing around

and you may need a lift kit to fit the gearbox in the tunnel if you go with the auto
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon May 11, 2009 12:36 am

Being a turbo motor it would be a quadcam. I believe the early ones are non interference but still a good chance damage could have been done with a busted cam wheel I think. Yeah there are after market cam wheels you can buy.
I believe you can use the EJ power steering rack but you have to do some swap-see's with the tie-rod ends. Although you may run into issues with the steering coupler because without a lift kit in your car the angle might be abit too wide - they come out of the rack at a different angle to the original rack but a lift kit allows the uni joints in the coupler to soak up the angle.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 11, 2009 11:43 am

I've never looked for bent valves before but I'd reckon you'd beable to work out if you have some seriously bent valves by taking off the cam cover on the offending side of the engine. You should see all valves behaving normally if no bent valves, if there's a bent valve or two it may not be following the cam lobe anymore (will need to carefully rotate the crank or cam if cambelt is broken to find out)

I'd also carefully rotate the crank slowly feeling for any points of restriction - obviously don't try to "push" past these - that would be the time to back off and investigate further.

If you're doing the conversion I don't see why you couldn't pull the heads to get exact verification. I may cost a bit more in parts if the valves are all good but at least you'd know they're good - If not you'll beable to do something about it with ease (cos you've got easy access to the engine).

Good luck with it, I've got my finger's crossed for you

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon May 11, 2009 1:24 pm

"roughly " :-) up to 1996 were freewheeling engines after 96 they interference
cheers
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

benno1

Post by benno1 » Mon May 11, 2009 5:42 pm

Ok guys, Thanks for the info.

A little more background, I had originally planned to put the liberty engine in as I don't really want a pocket rocket, just something driveable with no choke, starts first time with power steering and air conditioning. I then found out from the RTA NSW web site that any more than 20% larger engine capacity needs an engineers certification which I don't want to bother with, the liberty has an ej22. Then this turbo 2 litre motor came up for $1200.00 with auto and complete wiring harness but it doesn't have the key or ignition switch.

Can I use the wiring harness and computer from the liberty on the EJ20T? What about removing the turbo and running normally aspirated, is that possible?

I am hoping to be able to mix and match the cv shafts between the brumby and the liberty to come up with a solution or do I need to have the shafts remanufactured ?

Thanks.

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:53 pm

engines with bent valves will mangle the spark plug most of the time
if severley bent
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

SubaRute

Post by SubaRute » Mon May 11, 2009 8:17 pm

you might be lucky to get the PS rack to fit just a few slight mods and it can be done

Joel

Post by Joel » Tue May 12, 2009 9:04 pm

benno1 wrote:Ok I then found out from the RTA NSW web site that any more than 20% larger engine capacity needs an engineers certification which I don't want to bother with, the liberty has an ej22.
hate to tell you but even the turbo engine is gonna need engineering
turbo/supercharged engines fall under a different catergory than N/A

TJS

Post by TJS » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:47 pm

all dohc subaru mottors bend valves if it has had the engine turned over if u put a belt on it wit plugs in turn the engine over by hand and count the compresions if there is four its fine if not its diked i have a brumby wit a ra quick steer rack in it but mine has a liberty subframe front and rear and a 6 inch lift

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:50 pm

hmmm. sounds interesting. keep us posted.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”