Ej conversion donor questions

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
ToyRX

Post by ToyRX » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:03 am

Just FYI - the engine looks to be a EJ20G, give aways are the plastic header tank, twin bolt coils and single turbo (obviously!).
This is the same engine I have so a couple of little hints.
Pull and check the coils before you install the engine - check for cracks in the wireing where it goes into the insulator and check for cracks in the insulator itself.
Throw away the plastic header tank, replace with later model alloy one, you may need to modify it slightly to fit depending on which one you get.
85 Leone RX EJ20T Rally Car - plus spare rolling shell
91 Facelift 2.2 GX 4WD Legacy - SOLD
96 RSB Legacy

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:27 am

Your actually better off throwing the original coils away to start with - they are terrible. Always give problems on this model. Replace them with 4 x Bosche HEC-716 and leads. I've done this on two of my 20G motors with fantastic results - just did it on the legacy 2 days ago.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:52 pm

ToyRX wrote:Just FYI - the engine looks to be a EJ20G, give aways are the plastic header tank, twin bolt coils and single turbo (obviously!).
This is the same engine I have so a couple of little hints.
Pull and check the coils before you install the engine - check for cracks in the wireing where it goes into the insulator and check for cracks in the insulator itself.
Throw away the plastic header tank, replace with later model alloy one, you may need to modify it slightly to fit depending on which one you get.
Thanks for the tips, I have heard of the plastic header tank problems but nothing about the coils.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 pm

AndrewT wrote:Your actually better off throwing the original coils away to start with - they are terrible. Always give problems on this model. Replace them with 4 x Bosche HEC-716 and leads. I've done this on two of my 20G motors with fantastic results - just did it on the legacy 2 days ago.
Thanks A T, stashed that info away. I recently learned we never got the ej20g single turbo here after trying to buy an ecu and harness from a knowledable subaru only wrecker. I'm told ecu has to be ej20g and possibly an ej22 turbo harness can be modified, but its a bit of work. This all from people much more knowledgable than I. I have a translated wiring schematic on the engine electrical, guess its a matter of finding the parts. Damn, we never got the ej 5spd d/r either.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:54 pm

You can actually use an N/A EJ22 loom aslong as it's from the same vintage (Gen1, Gen2, Series1, Series2 etc). The only real difference between them is the extra wiring for the boost solenoids which you can just wire yourself.
People have done this when putting an EJ20G turbo motor into their standard N/A EJ22 car.

Haven't done it myself but I've heard of it being done and working well.

Might be worth contacting Al at AMauto (in Australia) and having him prepare a loom for you and send it over. Cuts out all the difficulty, just adds a few $$.
http://www.amauto.com.au/

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”