EJ20t top mount on brumby wheel carrier

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
SUBIIE

EJ20t top mount on brumby wheel carrier

Post by SUBIIE » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi Team,

After 12 months off the project due to a house renovation project I am back in to the conversion.

Was going to run a front mount IC but just decided that with AC on the front as well, it was going to be a lot of work so I figured I would just stay with the top mount IC with no scoop.

So......

what is required to fit the IC with the wheel carrier in mind.

I have a 95 wrx engine in a 92 brumby, I have lowered the engine and gearbox 2 inches with alloy lift blocks. Hence the IC runs straight into the wheel carrier.

Should I drill out the welds and remove the entire plate? (will that affect the fixed brake lines)

Is there an option of having an elbow bend that takes the IC higher?
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

tex

Post by tex » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:34 pm

I have removed mine for other reasons and drilled out all the spot welds and pulled off the entire piece of sheet metal and doesn't affect the brake lines at all however I left the little support bracket on, but if I was to do it again then I would cut the spare wheel bracket off flush with the firewall instead so I didn't have to fill all the little holes from the spot welds that go straight into the cab!
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:51 pm

thanx tex,

Unfortunately I already started drilling. But I think it will look a bit better with the wheel carrier bracket removed, whilst leaving the engine stay mount. Will no doubt have to weld drilled holes and respray but these aren't to difficult.

any other advice about the IC top mount for the brumby from anyone else?
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Go the water to air cooler if you're not going to put a scoop on the bonnet...

Will need some plumbing of water pipes etc, but for the intake air cooling and the sleeper look it would be well worth the effort!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:54 pm

grind spot welds down till they release, saves filling holes later

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:13 pm

yeah using a top mount with no scoop is uber gay. Imagine the heat soak.

Either, as bennie said, go for a water to air or get a scoop. Water to air requires a smallish cooler put infront of the aircon condesner, some extra plumbing and wiring for the water pump. Pretty easy really.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:54 pm

re; plumbing a WAIC on the front, I am not really that concerned about heat radiation and or the look of a scoop. With the engine dropped by 2 inches there should be enough air flowing through the engine bay. If this becomes a problem later on then I will put a front mount in.

thanx WRX for that tip, I have only drilled half the holes so might give the rest a the angle grinder treatment. Cheers

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:21 am

a guy called julian edgar was the tech guy for zoom mag few years ago. he suggested to fill a water intercooler with a substance that melts at a higher temp than say 70 degrees to use as a heat soak. on the road when cruizing the air through the cooler will cool the thermal mass and keep it a solid. when boosting the mass will absorb the heat until it becomes all liquid then intake temps will rise. in the same way that a drink stays quite cold until the ice is all melted. what substance is cheap and is solid till 70 degrees os so you all ask. the reply was candle wax. and you can get low melting temp candlewax too. ask your friendly local sadist why he doesnt get candle wax burns.
so the suggestion is to use the subaru top mount water intercooler, outlets plugged and filled with wax and then you dont need a scoop or pump or anything. ive never tried it so i dont know but it makes logical sense. only issue may be the capacity of the top mount and melting temp of the wax. worth a thought anyway

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:11 am

wrxer wrote:a guy called julian edgar was the tech guy for zoom mag few years ago. he suggested to fill a water intercooler with a substance that melts at a higher temp than say 70 degrees to use as a heat soak. on the road when cruizing the air through the cooler will cool the thermal mass and keep it a solid. when boosting the mass will absorb the heat until it becomes all liquid then intake temps will rise. in the same way that a drink stays quite cold until the ice is all melted. what substance is cheap and is solid till 70 degrees os so you all ask. the reply was candle wax. and you can get low melting temp candlewax too. ask your friendly local sadist why he doesnt get candle wax burns.
so the suggestion is to use the subaru top mount water intercooler, outlets plugged and filled with wax and then you dont need a scoop or pump or anything. ive never tried it so i dont know but it makes logical sense. only issue may be the capacity of the top mount and melting temp of the wax. worth a thought anyway

interesting...but doesnt it need to get pumped thru the intercooler system? i cant imagine the pump being very happy pumping wax around??

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:02 pm

lol @ wax - that's pretty left of field!
Here are the rational options;

No bonnet scoop
- Use a WAIC from an RS with COOLANT in it. You do need to mount a small radiator at the front and the water pump in the guard but this should be able to be achieved very easily. It's been done many times.
- Go for a front-mount air intercooler. Again this has been done very many times before with good results, although normally only for installs where the owner is going for big power.

Scoop
- standard top mount intercooler.

If you are using an air cooled top mount, you NEED a bonnet scoop. No matter how much air you think will be running around the engine bay, unless it's being physically forced directly through the intercooler, it will do 4/5th of stuff-all to cool your intake temps.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:29 pm

haha wax.

no wonder he "was" and no longer is the tech guy
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Edgar Julian

Books By Julian Edgar

High Performance Electronic Projects For Cars
This book is a definite must-have if you are building and fitting any of the kits below. Published by Silicon Chip Magazine, it shows in full colour, all projects, in addition to chapters on how engine management works, DIY modifications, and more

21st Century Performance SORRY NOW OF PRINT
Is the first high performance book that covers current automotive technology - how it all works and how to modify it for best results. Many of the modifications are of the practical, do-it-your selfer type

Julian Edgar

A secondary school teacher before becoming interested in cars, Julian Edgar has written more than 600 magazine articles on car modification. He has contributed to Street Machine, Fast Fours & Rotaries, Sport Compact Car, Turbo and Hi Tech Performance, Fast Car and many other magazines around the world. He was the founding editor of Zoom, and currently edits the Web magazine AutoSpeed. This book draws on the wealth of experience that he has gained both in modifying his own cars and also visiting the best workshops in the country.

interesting write up on steering angles and geometery:
http://www.speedpedal.com.au/cms/A_1084 ... ticle.html

seems this guy is smarter than i thought.
hope i can find that wax intercooler article

wrxer

Post by wrxer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”