Quick Q regarding EJ20T in Leone

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Subiegirl

Quick Q regarding EJ20T in Leone

Post by Subiegirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:42 am

Hi

Just wondering, i found this subaru leone with ej20T full conversion with 5 speed AWD box, can this conversion transfer straight into the brumby with little mods? Is the chassis/engine bay the same as a 92 brumby?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Subiegirl,

It would all depend on what year the Leone was.. as there is the MY Leone (80 to 84) then there's the L.Series Leone (85 to around 90).

If it's the MY Leone then it should be a straight swap over but not so with the L.Series. If your not sure on the model or years, I can post some pics for ya?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Subiegirl

Post by Subiegirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:20 am

hiya

hmm..i'm not sure what year it is, but it has single headlights, not sure if that helps.

So if it is a MY leone then it would be a relatively simple swap job as i assume the diffs and tailshaft would have already been converted and would they be same length in the brumby?

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:31 am

Hey..

Yeah.. Lets hope it's a MY leone then it's just time and labour to swap over.

MY..
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_ima ... medium.jpg

L.Series..
http://www.carwileauctions.com/auctions ... edcar2.jpg
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subiegirl

Post by Subiegirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:51 am

oh its definitely the first pic...oh oh oh so its an MY...so so excited now :)
oh do you think you could use the front bumper of the wagon and put it on the back of brumby with slight mods, as it looks about the same length?

ahh now to find the cash to buy it and someone to help me transfer it...

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 am

Cool.. Keep us upto date with how you go with it :)

As for the front bumber on the back.. I'm thinking too much work. I have seen a rear bumper from a MY wagon fitted to a Brumby and it looked good. I wished I'd taken a pic with my phone :cool:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

78sti

Post by 78sti » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:42 am

You will still have to modify the chassis rails as they cannot be transfered. Everything else should more or less swap over. Things that may still will require a modification to get them in are things like
- intercooling piping or bonnet depinding on what the donar car has?
- center bearing on the tail shaft (if they used one)
- modifications to firewall for Hydraluic clutch
- any other engine bay mods to mount accessories required (boost control air filter, fuse box ect)

78sti

Post by 78sti » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:44 am

Also if it is not lifted their may be some mods to the transmission tunnel to fit that gearbox in?

Subiegirl

Post by Subiegirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:20 am

Hi guys

oh so i just got some bad bad news...it seems my catalytic converter has gone on my "was for sale mazda" and may have seized some pistons oh please no!

There goes my subaru build fund...:(:(:(

if anyone wants this leone -- check it out

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Subaru-leone-wit ... 0021772231

i'm going to go and dig a hole, lie in it and cry :(
Hopefully i win 20 million soon ;)

cheers for all the help and advice...one day i will have my screaming sleeper :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:48 am

Oh bugger..

but not really sure how the cat has caused the pistons to seize :???:

That wagon is a little rough but I reckon you should still swap it all over to your Brumby.. you know you want too :p

Go for it.. stuff the expense

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subiegirl

Post by Subiegirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:31 pm

argh i know i want to...i want to so so so bad, but i don't have the cash...and was hoping i would have said cash if i sold my mazda...

well what i think may have happened was last year i was mildly rear ended, small damage and went into the body shop...where it sat for 2 months getting slowly slowly fixed and very very dirty lol

2 weeks outta the shop and i notice a severe lack of power especially on highway, put the foot down and no grunt at all..i'm thinking must be time for a service.

2 weeks after that i'm cruising along and bam..nothing..engine dies...towed it home and checked it out, leads melted onto sparkys, sparkys covered in oily gunk, dizzy cap had some corrosion, so i did the service and new leads, dizzy cap, plugs, oil and filters etc

Still won't start..argh! so now i'm thinking its starting to sound like the cat may have gotten clogged with body filler dust while in the shop, and over the month i drove it, the pressure and subsequently heat has built up as it can't escape thru a clogged converter and may have seized a piston (although i am hoping it didn't get this bad)

It looks like the brumby is on hold :( yet again lol at least dreams are free:cool:

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Thats no good, keep dreaming, itll happen when you least expect it.

dunno about the mazda, if it winds over on the key, i doubt its seized, but it sound rather rooted. i dont think dust would work its way up an exhaust, into the cat and block it after amonth of use, something else has happend.

Cheers, all the best with it, hope its not too major so you can get that rex transplant happening.
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Subiegirl wrote:argh i know i want to...i want to so so so bad, but i don't have the cash...and was hoping i would have said cash if i sold my mazda...

well what i think may have happened was last year i was mildly rear ended, small damage and went into the body shop...where it sat for 2 months getting slowly slowly fixed and very very dirty lol

2 weeks outta the shop and i notice a severe lack of power especially on highway, put the foot down and no grunt at all..i'm thinking must be time for a service.

2 weeks after that i'm cruising along and bam..nothing..engine dies...towed it home and checked it out, leads melted onto sparkys, sparkys covered in oily gunk, dizzy cap had some corrosion, so i did the service and new leads, dizzy cap, plugs, oil and filters etc

Still won't start..argh! so now i'm thinking its starting to sound like the cat may have gotten clogged with body filler dust while in the shop, and over the month i drove it, the pressure and subsequently heat has built up as it can't escape thru a clogged converter and may have seized a piston (although i am hoping it didn't get this bad)

It looks like the brumby is on hold :( yet again lol at least dreams are free:cool:
Sounds like you may have lost some coolant.. Do you have a local mechanic that can have a quick look at it for you? It maybe the engine has got a little hot and done a head gasket.. Sell it cheap and buy that wagon :mrgreen:

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ChPLAT

Post by ChPLAT » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:27 pm

The MY bumper fits but needs some holes slotted out a little and the end bits slightly cut for the tailgate.....

Past rides-
1989 Brumby

Current ride-
MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Subiegirl

Post by Subiegirl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:52 am

^^^ wow that looks awesome, why didnt subaru do this to all the brumbys from factory?? you wouldn't happen to be able to do that to my brumby??

i have still got my stupid mazda stuck in the garage, i have had racq look at it and he couldn't tell me why it doesnt start, now im trying to organise a tow ..so it can be properly looked at in the shop...

in the meanwhile i have come across a leone with ej22 and dual range 5 speed gearbox and the car is in really good nick, apart from sum minor hail damage all for the bargain basement price of $1000, down side-its in melbourne!!

Have been begging my bmw driving brother to help me out, but alas he doesn't understand my obsession with subies, in particular my brumby, actually i'm gettin quite used to that quizzical 'ur crazy' look wheneva i start talkin bout my car..lol

How are you going with that hardtop project, i am very keen to see how that turns out, i like where u have the spare located, pity you couldn't sit in lower (like lovey80 resto project) so the hardtop would go straight to window. Anywho good luck with it and i look forward to the updates :)

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”