ej22 going in this weekend

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
khanacross

ej22 going in this weekend

Post by khanacross » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:52 pm

just a update on my project ,ej22 into brumby , the wiring and adapter is done and sitting on the shed floor next to the engine ,so no holding back now ,,hopefully i'll have it sitting in its new home over next couple of days ,,,woohoo ,im excited ,,must go ,things to do ,,wish me luck..this also means my ea81 with twin carbs is for sale :D

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:12 pm

All the best :) but there isn't much of the weekend left :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Thats good to hear, all the best hope it falls into place for you. Cheers, Rohan
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:42 pm

good luck. will be waiting to hear the good news :)

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:15 pm

well ive come to a screeching holt ,,the ej was in a auto and im putting it in manual and after spending time getting everything ready including flywheel i realized the flywheel bolts are too short for the manual flywheel ,,damn !!! and being a long weekend ,i cant get any manual ej flywheel bolts today ,so it slowed me down a little but tomorrow is another day ,,,no drama just a minor thing ,,,so plan is get bolts tomorrow and bolt on modified flywheel and lower engine into car (its hanging above engine bay waiting) ,engine crossmember is ready ,engine adapter is fitted ,,,,,patience boy patience :rolleyes:,,, one thing i did notice when removing the ea81 is the heads on it ,they have a casting in the exhaust ports ,,,does this means they are the twin port heads ??its like a divider in the middle when you look in ... thanks khanacross

dibs

Post by dibs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:04 pm

will the ecu be ok being from an auto
just a thought

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:13 pm

According to my FSM, you need to find the AT/MT ID wire (connector B48 pin 20) and disconnect it from ground and connect it to a 5v supply.

You then need to short the inhibitor switch
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:06 am

khanacross wrote:one thing i did notice when removing the ea81 is the heads on it ,they have a casting in the exhaust ports ,,,does this means they are the twin port heads ??its like a divider in the middle when you look in ... thanks khanacross
This is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve pipe fitting. It's one of those pollution control shuff that most people remove when rebuilding the engine.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:25 am

think the twin port had two sets of exhaust ports, or that is the impression I got, never had one or seen one in flesh. I gotta say I admire your prep method, makes good logic. I would have fitted engine first then had car sit around useless for months or years until I got the rest of it sorted :)

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:53 pm

There is a common misconception about twin port heads.

Many people think that if the exhaust port has a divider all the way to the surface, it a dual port head.

The true 'Dual port' head came from the EA62 and has the exhaust ports on the sides of the head (as opposed to the bottom like common EA61, EA63, EA71 and EA81 heads).

The 1300cc EA63 dual port made 92hp from factory at 7000rpm

This EA62 engine came from the 1970 FF-1 coupe

This is the factory extractors with correct cylinder grouping
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 pm

hi all ,thanks for responses ,,another small issue ive come across is the aircon ,my brumby has aircon which works great (not long had regas) also the ej has aircon compresser ..my question is ,do i use the ej compressor and get hoses made up to siut and just get a regas ? the ea81 compressor will not fit on the ej engine its far bigger than the standard ej one,,, certianly i prefer to use ej stuff because of belts and keeping the standard ej look ,,thanks khanacross

dibs

Post by dibs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 pm

use the ej one and send me the brumby one lol
did you get my pm ????
dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:00 pm

khanacross wrote:hi all ,thanks for responses ,,another small issue ive come across is the aircon ,my brumby has aircon which works great (not long had regas) also the ej has aircon compresser ..my question is ,do i use the ej compressor and get hoses made up to siut and just get a regas ? the ea81 compressor will not fit on the ej engine its far bigger than the standard ej one,,, certianly i prefer to use ej stuff because of belts and keeping the standard ej look ,,thanks khanacross
Yep use the EJ compressor.. Just get you local Auto Sparky to join the rubber hose sections with swage joiner like the in the link but your Sparky will match it to suit the 2 models
https://www.ackits.com/pc/35-B6103/Fitt ... 3+-+Splice

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Mon May 10, 2010 5:01 pm

hi all ,just a update ,the engine is in and running well ,been driving it for a couple of days and all is well,, just doing some tidy up stuff,,couple of oil leaks (tappet covers) ect,,tidy up the wiring and im done ,,,i highly recommend this conversion to anyone thinking of doing it ,,its a totally differant car to drive now ,smooth power ,effortless hills ,,,i would like to thank every one on this site for giving advice and encouragement it made the job easy and stress free,,,THANKS,,, i now have the rest of the s1 liberty to get rid of if anyone wants anything and also two ea81 engines one with twin carbs ,,,,,thanks again guys ....khanacross

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon May 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Awesome.. glad to hear it's all good :) Now go and have some fun :p

As for the EA81s.. I might look at the twin carby one? as I just brought a Brumby and wish to keep it EA81 with weber but the twin setup was always good fun :)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 10, 2010 6:23 pm

Curious to know how you are gonna deal with your RTA needs. I have had a fella come in with a V6 in an old HZ. All he wanted was a change of engine number form filled in with engine number sighted . Had to issue it even though conversion was not engineered. He then had the form processed and returned for his pinky. A call to the RTA revealed that it was regarded as a suitable conversion within the 15% and as it was a pink slip inspection it would be fine. A blue slip might be a different story. Hope the same is felt towards EJ22 over the EA81. Well done

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Mon May 10, 2010 8:42 pm

yes it does need to be engineered ...did speak to a rta certified engineer before starting the conversion ,he said ej22 into brumby is no worries ,,khanacross

brockharro

Post by brockharro » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:30 pm

what gear box did you use the standard 4 speed with adapter plate or the ej 5 speed as im thinking of doing the conversion if you did use the 4 speed how has it held up and what starter motor did you use

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”