Ej 2/2.2 into L clutch/power steer questions

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
L-nutter

Ej 2/2.2 into L clutch/power steer questions

Post by L-nutter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:49 am

Hi All,
I'm planing to do the Ej20 or 22 non turbo into my L and keeping L gearbox etc. just to give it a bit more stick and better fuel econ.
The engine/loom/adaptor plate change looks fairly straight forward thanks to all the posts here !!!
I am considering purchasing a damaged Liberty/Impreza if one came up for the transplant. That way I should have everything I need...less fishing for bits....

My questions are which clutch/flywheel do you use ie. Will the L clutch and flywheel both onto the EJ ? Or do you need to mix and match the EJ parts ?

Also, same with power steer. My L's (3 at the moment - trying to cut back) do not have power steer, but I would like to fit that as well.

Obviously there is no point in buying a Lib/Impreza Auto if I am going to need clutch bits....
Any thoughts......Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:49 am

Hi L-nutter and welcome to AUSubaru :)

Yep.. lots of good info here for anyone looking to fit an EJ engine to their early model Subie :cool:

As for questions..

Flywheel, If you're using the EA-EJ adapter plate then just use the EA flywheel and clutch from the EA as the offset will be ok as long as your adapter plate is around 12mm. You will need to machine/file some of the bolt holes and use the EJ bolts (but I'm 99% sure they are the same as the EA ones).

Powersteering, If you don't have a pwr/str rack then you can just run a bypass hose on the pwr/str pump (make sure you have fluid in the pump so it doesn't seize) or try and find a L.Series pwr/str rack or use the Liberty (not Impreza) rack and fit your tierod ends on it.

As for buying a Auto or Manual it will make no real diffence as you won't use the gearbox anyway. It just means you'll need to use the EA flywheel bolts.

Hope this helps..

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome Paul !

Have always loved and owned Subies and wishing I kept an RX turbo I had a few years back !! Somewhere in Melbourne now I believe :cry:

Thanks for the tips....
As i'm going for an offroad setup, will definately put power steer in, so hopefully a liberty will come up and I can use the p/s rack from that, if not i'll keep my eyes out for an L one.

Cheers, Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

No worries Doug.. I'm sure you'll find a Liberty rack over your way but if not post one up in the 'Wanted' section and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

Let us see how your project goes.. pictures are a must ( hey Andrew :) )

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

khanacross

Post by khanacross » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 pm

hi guys ,just a note ,flywheel bolts are different ea to ej the ea use 8mm the ej use 10mm ,as said earlier you use the ea flywheel on the ej just have to elongate the holes a little ,,,,khanacross

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:57 pm

khanacross wrote:hi guys ,just a note ,flywheel bolts are different ea to ej the ea use 8mm the ej use 10mm ,as said earlier you use the ea flywheel on the ej just have to elongate the holes a little ,,,,khanacross
Umm.. That might be the case for the EA81s but not for the EA82s :) I have plenty of EA82 engines here and they all seem to have the same as the EJ series engines.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:26 am

and with the power stearing if you have an lseries rack in the car the ej pump and lines should bolt straight up
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Sat May 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks for the input guys...sorting out a few issues in 'theory' before I take the plunge into the conversion :)

Doug

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”