Does series 1 liberty have SOHC or DOHC ?

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
L-nutter

Does series 1 liberty have SOHC or DOHC ?

Post by L-nutter » Sat May 08, 2010 3:12 pm

Hi Again,

As an older Lib 2.2 will be the cheapest option for a conversion into my L...

I was wondering if the series 1 lib 89-94 2.2l has a single or double OHC ??

Only feedback i've had is that the DOHC is impossible to change spark plugs once the engine is installed due to the location...Any other advangages/disadvantages to either engine ??

Thanks, Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:40 pm

Hey Doug..

All EJ22 that were in the Gen 1 (series 1 &2) and Gen 2 Libertys were SOHC. Only the EJ20 Turbo in the Libertys were DOHC.

Best to find yourself a very good running (but bad bodied) Gen 1 car and use it for most bits..

I forgot.. is your L a EFI model? if not you'll need to get hold of an external EFI pump, as the Liberty has an internal pump in the tank.. also will need to think about the return line back to the tank.

Cheers,
Paul
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

seagull

Post by seagull » Sat May 08, 2010 3:59 pm

I have a gen 1 series one 2ltr quad cam NA motor , I have 4 of them !

This motor runs the ej22 loom in the liberty

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sat May 08, 2010 4:32 pm

I have a ej22 sitting in my garage if you need a donk for your conversion... loom, computer the lot....
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Sat May 08, 2010 7:43 pm

Great to know they are all SOHC..one less thing to think about !

Thanks for the offer Guys,
Pity i'm not down (or across) your way !!!
Lucky for me there's a fair few Lib's poping up on ebay on the coast or at Bris, so i'll keep my eyes on them!
Hoping (or dreaming) of find one with low kms, that's had a hit in the rear or side !!!

Paul, my L's are all carby, so yes I will have to do as you suggested....or find another L for parts...(think i'd be in trouble then).

Do you know if the internal liberty pump will fit in the L tank ?

Otherwise, am I correct in thinking the return line is effectively a breather line ?

Thanks Doug

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sat May 08, 2010 8:07 pm

The statement about it being "impossible" to change spark plugs on a quadcam engine fitted to an L series is absolutely incorrect.
It's a little difficult but I did it no trouble at all in my RX L series with quad cam EJ20G engine fitted, several times. It's not even worth worrying about, Quadcam motors fit perfectly fine into an L series I guarantee it.

You cannot fit the internal fuel pump into an L series tank (well maybe you could but you'd need to custom modify/weld the tank). Just use an efi external pump from an efi L series, or get a new Bosche one intended for a VL commodore.
You don't need to make any changes to the fuel lines (return line etc), a carby model L series works fine using existing lines.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:36 pm

L-nutter wrote:Great to know they are all SOHC..one less thing to think about !

Thanks for the offer Guys,
Pity i'm not down (or across) your way !!!
Lucky for me there's a fair few Lib's poping up on ebay on the coast or at Bris, so i'll keep my eyes on them!
Hoping (or dreaming) of find one with low kms, that's had a hit in the rear or side !!!

Paul, my L's are all carby, so yes I will have to do as you suggested....or find another L for parts...(think i'd be in trouble then).

Do you know if the internal liberty pump will fit in the L tank ?

Otherwise, am I correct in thinking the return line is effectively a breather line ?

Thanks Doug
Hey Doug.. as for your fuel pump see AndrewT's comments below but I have seen the L.Series fuel line used many times and DON'T recommend it.. 2 reasons.. 1 Subaru wouldn't have changed it in the EFI if it would work ok.. and secondly.. it makes your fuel pressure higher and inturns makes the pump get hotter (not good when we are talking about fuel).

I would just go down to your local Subaru wreckers (or someone wrecking one) and grab yourself just the supply line for the L :)
AndrewT wrote:You cannot fit the internal fuel pump into an L series tank (well maybe you could but you'd need to custom modify/weld the tank). Just use an efi external pump from an efi L series, or get a new Bosche one intended for a VL commodore.
You don't need to make any changes to the fuel lines (return line etc), a carby model L series works fine using existing lines.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun May 09, 2010 1:22 am

Yeah naturally it's better to upgrade the lines to do it properly, but not necessary if your on a budget. Alex ran his completely unmodified and it worked perfectly fine with a turbo EJ20 with the boost wound up :) Perhaps his pump might have died prematurely if he had run up more kms on the car.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 09, 2010 9:05 am

AndrewT wrote:Yeah naturally it's better to upgrade the lines to do it properly, but not necessary if your on a budget. Alex ran his completely unmodified and it worked perfectly fine with a turbo EJ20 with the boost wound up :) Perhaps his pump might have died prematurely if he had run up more kms on the car.

I hear you Drew and know many people have done it this way but I always give advice as to the (IMO) best way things should be done :) How people end up doing it is up to them.

Doug.. If you need the ECU wiring done, just PM Dave (Subarino) as he does a awesome job at a great price (worth the postage to Perth)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Sun May 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Hey guys, thanks again for all the input !!

Better to know the facts and options before I go in....

As you know (probably more than me !) it's all the 'other stuff' that can blow the budget...Looks easy enough to pick up an old lib for $1000 or under, but don't want to end up with a 3k bill for all the extra's I haven't taken into account. Fuel supply and clutch were the main two I had questions about. Other stuff like the radiator and adaptor plate have great info on this site, so that's fairly easy to budget for..
I am assuming then that the supply line in a EFI L series is a larger diameter, and would replace the existing one ?

Hate to say that i'm actually looking forward to doing the wiring myself :shock:, yes it's true...with a background in electronics, I'm actually looking forward to it...as long as I can get my hands on the correct wiring diagram for the Lib when I get it.

Cheers, Doug

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Sun May 09, 2010 12:52 pm

hey mate, sounds like you've got a plan.

for wiring diagrams, check the manualthat is available on these forums. If you go to the last post in that thread you can download the whole thing as a .zip file, or the first post has them by section.
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Hey Doug.. I'm 99% sure the supply lines in the Carby and EFI models are the same but the Carby model return line is smaller, so best just grab a Carby model (easier to find = cheaper) supply line. As for the wiring.. go for it.. if you're good with that kind of stuff and feel confident, you'll save some $s :)

Cheers,
Paul

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Tue May 11, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Paul,
Don't know why my brain didn't kick in sooner....I have a spare L just to rob bits off, so looks like I can nab the supply line from that and use it as the return on the project !!!

ScubyRoo....thanks for the link..works great, love zip files....I have spent ages just looking over the wiring just to get a 'feel' for things.

Will let you all know when I pick up a doner Lib and start...will find out then how my wiring skills are then :D

Cheers, Doug

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:22 pm

L-nutter wrote:Hi Paul,
Don't know why my brain didn't kick in sooner....I have a spare L just to rob bits off, so looks like I can nab the supply line from that and use it as the return on the project !!!

ScubyRoo....thanks for the link..works great, love zip files....I have spent ages just looking over the wiring just to get a 'feel' for things.

Will let you all know when I pick up a doner Lib and start...will find out then how my wiring skills are then :D

Cheers, Doug
hahaa.. no probs Doug.. I do that all the time.. just happened the other day with this EA81 Turbo that I can fit in my Brumby :D

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”