wrx power steering rack in EJ20T brumby

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
SUBIIE

wrx power steering rack in EJ20T brumby

Post by SUBIIE » Mon May 31, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi guys,

The rack is fitted and the engine is fitted, see thread in my sig for details. But, when I put the power steering lines in they came or even touched the down pipe from the turbo. So I assume that I needed to lengthen the hoses to go around the solid brake lines coming out of the master cylinder to avoid them burning. Have just forked out $140 to have them lengthened.

Did I do the right thing and did anyone else have serious issues getting the first (most forward) line to connect onto the rack?

Cheers
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Lengthening was the way to go, for those interested. However,I had to have both solid lines shortnened to make tightening the nuts onto the rack possible. So firstly get an idea of how short you want the solid lines, then figure out the length of the flexible line from there.
Happy turning.
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!

Sti Brumby

Post by Sti Brumby » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:17 pm

Hey how did you get the rack mounted to the Brumby crossmember when the WRX rack is heaps thicker and what ends did you use to get it narrow enough to get the toe right??

Currently struggling with same thing...

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:46 pm

i should have done this with my car. They werent too short (ej20g in a l-series with a ej22 liberty rack) but one day, one of the lines shifted and without me knowing was resting on the dump pipe. Im guessing it melted through very quickly and all of a sudden it started bellowing smoke.

replaced it and wrapped the ps lines in heat wrap to preveent it happening again.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:10 pm

STI brumby;

read through my build thread nad is covers how to fit the wrx rack fairly well. At least that is what I think!

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”