Brumby air filter fitment.

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Bogged!

Brumby air filter fitment.

Post by Bogged! » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi all, a few questions for the more knowledgeable among the AUSubaru mob. I was going to list separate questions but went with multiple instead:confused:
The picture; I have a 1991 Brumby with EJ22 and Forester gearbox. I'm having problems there with that too but won't worry about that just now.

1. When going to the EJ motor with L series gearbox, Forester or Liberty AWD etc. what have other modifiers used for an anti sway bar? Anyone who has done this conversion will already know that there is zero room for an original bar with the EJ exhaust trying to go where the original fitted easily before due to size of pipe etc. I remember reading on here somewhere about an auto bar fitting but can't for the life of me find it now. Auto's seem to be pretty rare as all I can find was an '83 or '84 Touring wagon fitted with auto and EA82 motor but that one was the same or at least very similar to mine. Any ideas? One off something else? L series one adapted with arms etc? The only reason I'm going on about it is because my Brumby is now handling bit funny where before it cornered a lot flatter in corners. I don't intend entering slalom competitions with it but would appreciate a good handling machine, at the moment it's oversteering but pulling out of it due to being all wheel drive (very good fun uphill too!) so not life threatening.

2. Air filter fitment. I know a lot of people fit pod filters but has anyone fitted a more heavy duty filter such as injected L series or Impreza? I wouldn't think so as the couple of Liberty versions I have are not even close to fitting due to space constraints. The battery is shifted to where the spare wheel used to live so no space problems there, just no room beside the motor:twisted: Has anyone fitted an Impreza, Forester or Outback filter to their Brumby or MY conversion? The filter I'm talking about is the big one that goes onto some mounts at the back of the motor with the filter fitted almost on the throttle body itself. Be good if it did as then the AFM could be mounted neatly with a cold air intake as well.

3. Due to problems I'm having with my motor running erratically, plug 1 & 3 fouling and losing power occasionally I have been looking at my other EJ22 with 4EAT gearbox pretty closely. Does this gearbox fit into a Brumby easily or is some surgery needed on the tunnel? I intend fitting a 2" lift kit shortly so that could only help but it is a bloody large gearbox to look at and as the Forester manual box only just fits it looks like touch and go for the auto. It is a beautiful gearbox with excellent changes and works well with the EJ22 power wise too. Anyone fitted one to a Brumby? It came out of an 86 RX with 2" lift so I know that fits but not sure about in a Brumby, similar in the tunnel too?

Thanks to any one who can inform me about any or all of this:mrgreen:

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:49 am

1. For the front swaybar, You will want one from a 4wd MY, not a 2WD because 2WD swaybars are hollow, 4WD ones are solid.

Ive never looked if an L series swaybar will fit.

2. I cant see any reason you couldnt get an airbox to fit. Take a look around a wrecking yard for something that fits, it doesnt need to be from a Subaru.

3. Ive tried fitting an EJ 4EAT into a MY, it doesnt fit without tunnel modifications. I ended up giving up because it was too big a job
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:01 am

Here's a picture of my air filter, apperently off a mitsubishi magna/pajero not too sure of models though
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:28 am

Baron Von Chickenpants once found that not only do you need 4WD sway bar but the auto 4WD sway bar to get around the EJ AWD box

Bogged!

Post by Bogged! » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Thanks for that fellas, now I know that the MY I looked at had been retrofitted with the auto gearbox and wasn't original, hence had a manual gearbox sway bar. I'll keep my eyes open for an original automatic to grab the bar off but auto's seem pretty thin on the ground here in Tassie, most early subies are four speed dual range or they are five speed fwd ones.

Air filters seem to be either too small or are too big so what I am looking for is something similar to an XF Falcon filter, ie. about the size of a lunch box to go lengthwise along the engine without interfering with anything. Might be a long look it would seem, I'm going on a wrecking yard look shortly so I'll keep an open mind re. make and models.

The 4EAT auto may be going in one way or another eventually but it would be a lot easier with the lift fitted too. I remember reading in a book or magazine once that you can fit any engine/gearbox to any car if you start off high enough, if it doesn't fit lift it higher before dropping it again, guaranteed to fit eventually:rolleyes:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:48 am

Got some pics Bogged? What year did your EJ22 come from as that air filter/pipe from AFM to throttle body will work better for you rather than that air filter behind the throttle body setup.

Shame you're going the auto - I'm not a fan of them at all...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”