Sti instrument cluster in Brumby fuel gauge problems

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Sti Brumby

Sti instrument cluster in Brumby fuel gauge problems

Post by Sti Brumby » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:05 pm

So I've put a 95 Sti RA engine and driveline into my 91 Brumby and I'm using the instrument cluster as it has engine management lights, tacho and the all important front diff lock lights but I'm struggling with the fuel gauge side of things???

Does anyone know how the fuel sender unit works in the STI ( ohmns, volts, wiring diagrams? ) or has someone done this conversion?

PS. First time poster so hope i've done this right.

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 pm

if the sti is like the liberty it will have two fuel senders in the tank and the brumby only has one

you will have to modify the cluster to remove the divider circuit if this is the case
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 pm

First time poster eh? System data suggests otherwise !

Likely to be measured in Ohms, the Brumby is anyway in a range from close to 110 down to 0 Ohms. I have had to play with thereadings of the L and MY gauges for gas conversions to convert signal needed by both MY and L gauges to read close to the gauge of the LP bottles. Limited range of gas bottle readout but had to use one similar to a Toyota workings and that was backwards to many other cars like Falcons that are 0 to 90 Ohms or 0 to 175 Ohms.

Can really help if you either know resistor values or get a resistor wheel (dials up different resistance values) from dick smith that you can feed your new gauge a resistor value in range of zero to say 120 Ohms and see what it does. From memory it is resitance between gauge wire and earth, so slip the wheel in between to dial in readings.

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”