Brumby conversion engine won't start WTF

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
Scoobie Doobie

Brumby conversion engine won't start WTF

Post by Scoobie Doobie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:07 pm

hey guys

i'm in the final stages of converting to an ej20g in my 89 brumby, so far its been an experience but its getting a bit frustating. the donor engine came of a 92 gx liberty which had the ej20g put into it, the wiring and ecu are gx originals, i transfered the lot over into the brumby and just spliced in the non efi fuel pump into the ej harness hoping to aviod all the electircal hassels. the engine ran fine in the liberty prior to the conversion but once in the brumby ran a bit slugishly. turns out the old pump was on its last legs and died shortly after, consequently didn't fill up the surge tank and the engine wouldn't kick over. ended up buying a new one from auto one and once plumbed in and temporarily wired up ran like a dream, disconected it to wire it up properly and now the engine wont start again. when cranking the engine over the engine will but not all the time intermitently start, caugh a few time and then nothing again. i've replaced all fuel filters, cheched for good voltage at the pumps,checked all the grounds, checked all fuses and fuel relay, checked all vacum hoses, i gave it a squirt or two of start ya bastard to see if it kicks over but its the same a few caughs and an ocasional rev. thinking it may be a spark issue, but checking it with a ignition tester i get sparks, but i'm not sure how bright they should be and sometimes they're a bit random.... is the coilpack roasted???? i just put in a new igniter so surely its not that...anyone with some suggestion???

cheers

adam:confused:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Try running it with the pump like you did the first time.. that way you can eliminate your wiring as the issue.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

adstrac

Re: Brumby conversion engine won't start WTF

Post by adstrac » Sun May 24, 2020 3:54 pm

Hi Guys,

I too am at this stage of my build, I got a EJ20G WRX STi 1994 GC8 half cut from Ichiban and rebuilt it, transferred all the original loom from that to the brumby. I have spark, cam and crank signals are coming through, checked the loom from the ECU to each injector (negative) and have only 0.2 Ohms resistance through each wire, the positive wire has constant 12v power. The injectors have about 10.8 ohms resistance each, fuel pressure is ok, am getting start signal through to ECU 12v when cranking then back to 0v as it should.

Only thing I can't get to happen is to get the injectors to pulse (inject) when they are meant to.....

Wondering what you found out to be your issue?

Adam

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 24, 2020 11:43 pm

Hey Adam,

What did you have rebuilt? Whole engine/top end rebuild/just a cam belt kit swap?

If the engine has sat for a period of time the injectors might be stuck.

I don’t know if or when Scoobie Doobie will reply. Kind of funny (but not), your both named Adam! Coincidence?? :lol: sorry, I couldn’t help myself!

All the best with it!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

adstrac

Post by adstrac » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:57 pm

G'day Bennie,

Thought that I'd post what I found wrong with my start issues, after double, then triple checking absolutely everything in the wiring, fuel lines etc, I removed the connectors from the injectors and wired directly to each injector to see if each one would "click" everytime that I connected the + to a separate battery. Turns out that not ONE of them would "click" when I did this. Having remembered that my engine had not been started since its complete rebuild (it had been turned frequently by hand) a few years earlier, I popped the injectors out and had them cleaned. It took a full day for them to be unclogged and freed up. I popped them back in, primed the fuel lines and presto, she started straight up.

Its a great feeling after all the hard work to finally hear that rumble, I still have a lot to do on it before she hits the road. Will keep you posted.

Adam

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”