ecu for ej22 conversion

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
MTB92

ecu for ej22 conversion

Post by MTB92 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 am

been saving up to fund an ej22 conversion in my L this summer and am now looking out for an appropriate Liberty to take motor, wiring, ecu etc out of. despite a search on here i cant find a difinitive answere to whether i will need a manual ecu (or if i can then buy an auto lib and still use the computer).
i have heard/read rumours of grounding a particular wire or joining 2 wires from an auto ecu to compensate. can anyone expand on this?

cheers
Robbie

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:58 am

just did a conversion with a mate using what im 99% sure was an auto ecu so its possible. as for how you go about doing it best off talking to subarino about it..
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

GOD

Post by GOD » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 am

I'm about to pull all the ej22 electronics out of my car. It ran, but had issues switching the fuel pump relay. Let me know if you're interested (ecu and chopped harness only, engine is rooted).

Dane.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1993 EA82/EJ18/EJ22/EJ22/EJ20/EJ22 L Series perpetual project

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:41 pm

It doesn't matter, both work great. Just rip the loom out and send it to Dave for him to work his magic. Or buy god's one and get Dave to fix it. The Auto ECU is very similar. Mine was an auto, Dann's is an auto, its been used plenty of times and works:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:09 pm

go buy this. If your not quick enough i will:D lol

Or maybe we can go half, you take all you need for the conversion and i take the rest:)

http://perth.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehi ... Z297381295
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:11 pm

does the EA82 clutch/ flywheel etc bolt onto the EJ22 ?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:22 pm

mud_king91 wrote:does the EA82 clutch/ flywheel etc bolt onto the EJ22 ?
look at guysej thread and bennies ej thread

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 pm

no it doesn't

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:09 pm

ahh Guyph, it says the add has been removed :(

i will investigate this wiring loom and computer. i am sort of wanting to have a go at cutting down the loom myself (and probably getting stuck halfway and then having to pay someone else to do it anyway :P) it is much about learning for me as getting a car with a bit more poke and as there is no time restriction i want to do as much as i can my self. i also figure if i am going to be a mechatronic eng i will have to get my head around wiring at some stage anyway :P.
i wont be doing any actual converting until after the next sem at uni, but i am hoping to get a Lib in the next few weeks to start taking wiring etc out of. i am pretty keen on waiting for a low K's one too. i cant see the point in putting the effort into something that will blow up in 6 months (which is why i didn't go for yours guyph, it looked as if someone had been dreaming up a bit of rally when they were driving it :P)
but now that has been cleared up i can widen my search 8)

so anyone got info on what actaully has to be done to make an auto ecu work in a manual?

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 pm

i think you just cut everything that's not needed and it should work.

If you want i've got a complete Lib loom here you can have for $50. You'll be able to play with it and take all the time you need to get your low k liberty.

Let me know

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:56 pm

i have access to wiring and ecu out of another lib for free, providing i remove it. i just haven't done anything about it because it was an auto.

also some joker from thornlie keeps filling up the subaru section on gumtree whenever i search for Libs, ya wouldn't read about it! :P

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Lol :p

Joel

Post by Joel » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:11 am

It seems as though atleast with the Gen1 Libs that the auto and manual use the same ECU and there is a wire that is either grounded or left open circuit to tell the ECU if its in a manual or auto.

I went through a few ECUs till i found one with no problems
Subi village had a bunch of gen 1 Libs I was getting ECUs from that were all D5 but some were man others were auto.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:16 pm

MTB92 wrote:ahh Guyph, it says the add has been removed :(

i will investigate this wiring loom and computer. i am sort of wanting to have a go at cutting down the loom myself (and probably getting stuck halfway and then having to pay someone else to do it anyway :P) it is much about learning for me as getting a car with a bit more poke and as there is no time restriction i want to do as much as i can my self. i also figure if i am going to be a mechatronic eng i will have to get my head around wiring at some stage anyway :P.
If you can get your head around these wiring diagrams from ben then you should be sweet. The wiring will get messy, freak you out, get messier and freak you out more until you give it some time for you to work it out in your head without looking at the mess.

I think the wiring took me about a year to cut down - I kept putting it off! But once it was done I did a shed floor test run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjKbPrZDLM

^ That was a GREAT feeling! And gave me the confidence to go on with the rest of the build.

Make sure you get the matching ECU with the wiring - this is where a donor vehicle is great as it will have everything you need unless someone else has already been there and fiddled/removed stuff from it.

If you get an auto that has issues running, check the relay that runs the whole show, it's a brown coloured unit and looks something like this:

This is an easy fix for that problem rather than buying a genuine relay at $$'s more than those two relays and a few tabs...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:29 pm

MTB92 wrote:ahh Guyph, it says the add has been removed :(

If you can get your head around these wiring diagrams from ben then you should be sweet. The wiring will get messy, freak you out, get messier and freak you out more until you give it some time for you to work it out in your head without looking at the mess.

I think the wiring took me about a year to cut down - I kept putting it off! But once it was done I did a shed floor test run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUjKbPrZDLM

^ That was a GREAT feeling! And gave me the confidence to go on with the rest of the build.

Make sure you get the matching ECU with the wiring - this is where a donor vehicle is great as it will have everything you need unless someone else has already been there and fiddled/removed stuff from it.

If you get an auto that has issues running, check the relay that runs the whole show, it's a brown coloured unit and looks something like this:

showthread.php?t=19809

L-nutter

Post by L-nutter » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:33 am

I am just starting to do my conversion (EJ22 engine into L) as I've (finally) got hold of a complete 91 lib Auto and have been identifying all the wiring before dismantling.
To answer your question, there is 1 pin on the ECU that comes via the gearbox to tell the ECU that you are in neutral or park. Basically this wire has to be bypassed and 'held' at 12 volts. There are other wires different from auto to manual, but this is the main one.

Fortunately for me, all the info on this Forum, (especially Bennnie's - Beer waiting in QLD for you :)) is making the job so much easier !
Also for me the Lib wiring diagram, and full service manual (do a forum serch), have the same wiring, colours and all, as my doner car, and that is making things ALOT easier !!!
If there is enough interest, I will start a thread with the process of doing the loom removal and cut down, bearing in mind it would only suit the series cars I am using...

Dougie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 am

L-nutter wrote: If there is enough interest, I will start a thread with the process of doing the loom removal and cut down, bearing in mind it would only suit the series cars I am using...

Dougie

Thats a great idea and will most probably help a lot of people like Bennies thread did help you:) More info and details is always a good thing:)
Ouuu, and don't forget pics:)

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:04 pm

cheers Bennie and Dougie, just what i needed to see.
i will be going through all those wiring diagrams and the experiences of everyone else who has done one. i wanted to make sure i could get the auto and be safe, but searching ecu doesn't work and searching words like auto, conversion, manual and the like gave a great read, but not on what i wanted.

The info on the 12v pin for the auto ecu was really what i wanted to be sure on. i just want to have some sort of understanding how it works before i commit to it, but that part makes sence now.

and any pointers to anyones previous experiences (especially with pics :D) would be really appreciated!

cheers Robbie

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:38 pm

well, i went shopping the other day and came home with a liberty gx, 1991, auto :D
still got a months rego, 230k on the clock (a little bit more than i really wanted), runs well, electric eveything still works. the guy i got it off had his wife prang it, and he decided it wasn't worth fixing --> refer to photos for damage (the globes are even all still fine!). it also had a very very flat battery, had been sitting in his yard a couple of months but swapped in the one out of my L and we were away. got it for $500, so i reckon i did all right!

so i now have a predrilled flywheel, adaptor plate, an ej22, wiring to cut down and ecu 8) just have to wait till uni ends this sem to get really stuck into it :D

it does kinda seem a shame to wreck the Lib though, it still runs excellently and its still licensed!...

anyway, i will make you guys look at a couple of photos anyway, sorry i know how much you guys hate them ;)

Robbie
Attachments
IMG_4636.jpg
IMG_4636.jpg (108.79 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
IMG_4632.jpg
IMG_4632.jpg (112.76 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
IMG_4631.jpg
IMG_4631.jpg (120.89 KiB) Viewed 2836 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:19 pm

^ Is that all the damage?? That's a steal mate!

230k km should be fine for a subaru engine so long as it's been looked after... Enjoy the wiring cut down, it's fun and scary but you'll get your head around it easy enough!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”