ac in ej converison

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
SUBIIE

ac in ej converison

Post by SUBIIE » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi Team,

Close now.

Spent $500 getting new plumbing put into brumby so as I could run ac with EJ20t in brumby.

But, how the bloody hell do I wire the whole thing up?

Anyone got any idea of how what wire needs to go where?

Cheers
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:57 pm

SUBIIE wrote:Anyone got any idea of how what wire needs to go where?
I'm pretty sure to wire the EJ AC compressor in all you need to do is find the wire that triggers the electronic clutch on the fan belt part of the AC compressor.

Keep the factory brumby AC or the donor kit from the likes of a (MY) touring wagon - you just need to find the wire to trigger the compressor clutch - from memory I think it is a blue wire ;)

And $500 for pipes?! No sh!t? That's insane!! I've been wanting my AC connected for the first time ever but I've not got around to it yet. If it's going to cost $500 just for hoses I think I'll leave it be.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:37 pm

yeah you can buy a lot of ice creams for $500.

That is everything except the gas, and the wiring, which still leaves you a long way off.

El freddo, I dont know how much you know about ac conversions in brumbies but I am certainly a noob when it come sto wiring.

However, if I run a brumby ac radiator, ej ac compressor, aftermarket dryer, brumby internal ac box there are some complicated wiring configurations going on. Especially considering the ecu controls the idle level when the compressor is on or off.

I need a little more info.

Or someone who wants to be paid to do the job for me>
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:40 pm

come to perth mate...

:P

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:04 pm

I'll have a look at the FSM's I have, what model EJ20 do you have? What did it come from?

At a guess you will take the blue wire that normally goes to the compressor, but route it back to the AC in on the ECU, then the AC out to the compressor. This way, turning the AC on will activate the ECU controlled engine fans, and bump up the idle. The rest of the wiring can remain factory Brumby
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:00 am

SUBIIE wrote: I dont know how much you know about ac conversions in brumbies but I am certainly a noob when it come sto wiring.
I installed the AC system that's in Sunnie the Brumby now. Goes well. I got the whole unit from a donor '84 touring wagon. Makes you cold in summer which is awesome!
Gannon wrote:I'll have a look at the FSM's I have, what model EJ20 do you have? What did it come from?

At a guess you will take the blue wire that normally goes to the compressor, but route it back to the AC in on the ECU, then the AC out to the compressor. This way, turning the AC on will activate the ECU controlled engine fans, and bump up the idle. The rest of the wiring can remain factory Brumby
I've heard that the EJ can take the power up of the compressor in its stride and will automatically adjust the idle according the load. But if you have the thermo fans triggered by the ECU it could be a good idea to set up a set of relays that can trigger the fans either by the ECU, the AC or the radiator's thermal switch. The AC and thermal switch would be in the same system so could share the same relay. You'd need at least one relay for each system (ECU and AC/thermal switch) per fan...

Cheers

Bennie

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:16 am

Bennie, the ECU controls the fan relay from a different output depending on coolant temperature, there is no thermoswitch. You only need one relay per fan, but there are normally 2 fans and to 'fan relay outputs' from the ECU
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Gannon wrote:Bennie, the ECU controls the fan relay from a different output depending on coolant temperature, there is no thermoswitch. You only need one relay per fan, but there are normally 2 fans and to 'fan relay outputs' from the ECU
Yes this is true Gannon, but remember this is a conversion - if the stock MY radiator is used there will be provisions for a thermo switch as it is in the stock MYs...

Cheers

Bennie

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:32 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Yes this is true Gannon, but remember this is a conversion - if the stock MY radiator is used there will be provisions for a thermo switch as it is in the stock MYs...
So why complicate things when the ECU does a great job of controlling fans, air-con and idle speed, all without modification.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:22 am

Gannon wrote:So why complicate things when the ECU does a great job of controlling fans, air-con and idle speed, all without modification.
Because I don't fully understand how to wire in the MY's/L's factory AC wiring into the ECU and this is what is a simple solution for me once I get the pipes made up for my AC system.

Cheers

Bennie

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 am

Its easy, the relay that controls the AC clutch, break the wire the feeds that coil, and extend the two ends to the ECU, one in and one out back to the relay.

So when you turn on the AC, the ECU will sense the voltage and increase revs, turn on the radiator fan, and, providing the coolant temp is below a certain temperature and you are not at full throttle, the AC clutch will pull in.

When I get back from work, i'll post up a diagram

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:48 pm

Fellas!

well have a 95 wrx GC8 model EJ20t jap import

on a 92 brumby shell

have dual thermos, that have not been yet hooked up, running on the road side of the main radiator.

cheers

dodgybrumby

Post by dodgybrumby » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:57 pm

Quick Q
Can anyone tell me if a L series A/C 'kit' (all components) will fit into my 90 Brumby?

Cheers

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”