L with ej22 vicroads?

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
tambox

Post by tambox » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Being an L series, comprehensive is an overkill, I only have third party on them, they were not interested my car.
The only claim we put through, when my lovely wife, was attacked by an "invisible car" and it was her fault, they didn't question or look at our vehicle.
All I did to fix ours was replace an indicator/park and straighten the bullbar mounts.
Several thousand dollars damage to the newer "invisible car".
So?????

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:42 pm

Again, entirely depends on who you get.
I'm not just talking about pranging other cars, what if you accidentally hit someone and your car isnt 100% legit. you can bet they will go over your car with a fine tooth comb.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:09 am

tambox wrote:Talked to Vic roads, as there was no chassis mods and the engine was from the cars manufacturer and bolted straight in, all I was told to do was fill out a change of description form and preset it at Vic Roads for inspection.
As it was registered as a turbo, the power increase was within Vic Roads specs.
Had a mechanic friend look at it and he said nobody would know, its like fitting a 308 in place of a 253.
Vic roads inspected it with a 2" lift,14" mags and duel fuel (certified).
Only comment was it looks neat.
I did not know what the Vic Roads inspector was looking for, I didn't point anything out and put the engine as a 2200 on the form.
Engine number is now on the rego.
That's the difference that I'd have issues with I reckon - yours was rego'd as a turbo previously where as mine's not been there before.

And as for the 14 inch rims are you talking with standard diametre rubber or 27's that is the typical choice with lift?

Keen to know that's all as I might get up the courage to have a go at changing the engine number on my rego and see how it goes. As you say, you don't know what they're looking for so if they're just after the engine number then I *should* be in the clear... but that's up to them :evil:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 am

The turbo motor was not mentioned by them, or me.

The alloy wheels are the road tyres 185/70/14, bigger than standard.
My 27"s are on a set of steel rims, swapped as required.

I was going to get an inspection report by a mechanic and present it as part of the Vic Roads "change of vehicle description" paperwork. As well as fit a set of 13" wheels (i did take the rear mount spare wheel carrier off). But my mechanic mate said he had presented a few of these type of mods and Vic Roads was none the wiser.
He said just take it, there is little chance they would notice, as long as it looks neat and looks like it was supposed to be there.

This is one of the areas where Vic Roads is not specifically clear on their definitions and do not have qualified mechanics to check cars. They can and do knock stuff back that is obvious and poorly done, or if you write something silly on their paperwork, they do a more detailed inspection.
Its one of their flaws/benefits, as well as the loophole with certification of pre 1994 production vehicles (L series) , LPG conversions.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:49 am

The last line probably explains the old Fairlane that made it across the border to the north consumng the gas at an alarming rate (alarming to the driver) . To demonstrate the smell to me the owner started her up as I looked under the bonnet as a squash ball size blob of clear liquid LPG emerged from the safety lock off/filter bowl, dropped toward the coil and vanished. Was leaking at the bottle in the boot too !

You get the feeling that responsible drivers/owners get the sensibly done engine conversions through where tear arse Tommys do not ????

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:16 pm

What happens if you take it in and the Vicroads fella woke up on the wrong side of the dog house that morning and takes an instant dislike to your car? If he says "no way" can you just drive off no better or worse? or can he sticker the car? Is risking a roadworthy worth it?

Does getting away with registering the engine change make the engine change legal? It's not Vicroads job to determine that surely, that's what engineers are for. The inspection is a physical check of the engine/chassis numbers essentially. How can a vicroads inspector ensure the wiring is upto scratch and the vehicle meets the emissions and noise standards of the donor vehicle (which it must)?

Surely that he inspected and approved an engine change doesn't mean blanket approval for the other modifications on the car either? In which case if you want to approve your lift kit, larger tyres etc that still means a visit to an engineer.

I try to look at this stuff from the perspective of myself potentially been prosecuted/voiding insurance for driving a modified car that's involved in an accident. Ok not likely to happen, but it's serious life changing stuff if it were to occur. I'm thinking something like T-boning a car. Ok so they pull out in front of you and it's really their fault. But an accident investigator goes over your car with a fine tooth comb and sees: Engine change = more weight, more power. Lift kit = higher centre of gravity/impact location and more weight. Larger tyres = reduced braking efficiency and more weight. Are these engineer approved? Is the vehicle roadworthy? I doubt it. If not would this mean that you are now automatically responsible for the accident, like in the case of drink driving? I think a lawyer could argue those modifications did contribute to the accident. Would this automatically void insurance? Could you be criminally liable for injury/death or negligence if now deemed responsible?

I think a lawyer would argue its the owners responsiblity to ensure full compliance with the law, not just whatever they can get away with.

I might add my car is not engineered for its lift, suspension change, larger tyres or modified brakes.

Then if you happily accept all of the above then what does registering the engine change matter?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:38 pm

When I registered this vehicle as a turbo L series, many years ago, it was done using the parts from my previous turbo L series, that was engineered as it was a carby L series. The current one was EFI, which means no engineers cert for a turbo conversion as it fits within the power change criteria of Vic Roads.
The lift kit is within Vic Roads rules. When the original engineers cert was done the 27" were listed as part of the mod. This was all accepted by Vic Roads.
When I had comprehensive insurance on the vehicle, I had to present it to the insurance company for inspection, they said it was ok, just.

Going back to the Vic Roads rules, I have two different engineers certs, for L series wagon mods, according to Vic Roads, provided these mods are copied, it is an engineers approved method of modification. As there are no chassis mods, it all bolts on.

As for road worthy and engineers, funny they have totally different rules to each other, as I have seen on many occasions.

According to Vic Roads 4WD's can run bigger tyres, (L series has an OEM sticker on it that says 4WD).
Both my engineers certs approve 14" wheels, under different criteria and I am running 4 wheel discs. A stopping test was done on both certs.

What happens if it fails a Vic Roads inspection, don't know as all of my cars have complied with their rules.

I have seen people build cars with imported motors (not released in OZ), these are a lot of work to pass Vic roads, as the current Vic Roads rules require a full emission test to be performed as well as the work certified.

I believe I have done what is required to make the modified vehicle safe and complied with Vic roads rules.

Which may or may not put me in a better situation if something happens.

Better than not doing anything, then you will be seen as hiding it, as you are aware its not right.

Macca

Post by Macca » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:28 pm

HAS ANYONE GOT ANY INFO ON ENGINE CONVERSION
Brumby 1991 EA81 to EJ20 (or Similar) in victoria.

Printed vic roads requirements but I need engineering certificate, Motor and someone that can do it in Melbourne North western suburbs.

Keep Smilin'

Macca

tambox

Post by tambox » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Macca,
Last time I got an Engineeers cert, I went through the list of approved engineers that is on the Vic Roads web site. Then I rang a few of them and discussed what I wanted to do.
Their attitudes/required tests/waiting time and charges varied a lot, shop around.

Thanks Greg
L serious, still.

Macca

Post by Macca » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks pal

Macca

Tweety
General Member

Post by Tweety » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Insurance- is a dirty word. and I used to sell it :cool:

Without digressing ever seen VW trikes towing teardrop campers? 95% chance they are breaking the law.

See VW trikes in Oz have heaps of alloy in their frames. Limits them to 250 kgms or 300 with brakes as a GVM!!! means about 120-190 kgms Tare plus load. Also means my caravan (that I'm now selling) at 460 kgms tare is way over.

It also mean most campers that are legally towed by VW trikes are the motorcycle campers.

Amusing isnt it. One VW trike manufacturer sells teardrops from his showroom. A legal trike then hooked up to a teardrop that makes the rig illegal and ridden from the sales point.

I recently did a review of campers for VW trikes on our clubs FB page. Many had camper suggestions and weighed, like my van, way more than what they should tow. My reply? "There is no point reviewing a camper that is illegal to tow". End of story. Insurance companies are not sympathetic.

Make every attempt you can to stay legal.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tweety trike- EA81 (full reco 2014) 32/36 weber, SPFI manifold, 9.5:1 CR, VW auto.

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”