L with ej22 vicroads?

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
tambox

L with ej22 vicroads?

Post by tambox » Sun May 27, 2012 5:51 pm

I have just finished converting my lifted L to a dual fuel ej22.
Anybody had theirs passed by vicroads?
What is needed to comply with them?

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:47 pm

it will require engineer certificate with vicroads
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

tambox

Post by tambox » Sun May 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks, thats what I thought.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 28, 2012 8:48 am

no problems
2008 zook jimny -sold!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:02 am

You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

AshR

Post by AshR » Mon May 28, 2012 12:42 pm

Keep us posted on what you go through with engineering/ registration etc. there are a few of us around that are looking at doing the same thing.

(mine will be near the bottom of the list of things to do to the brumby, but still on the list)

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 28, 2012 12:45 pm

i would imagine it will need a engineer inspection for the structual changes which they may tell havnt been done correctly, then a engineer ceritificate, then a change of the VIN plate
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon May 28, 2012 2:04 pm

Change vin? No, only engine number on rego.

Go to engineer, get certificate. Go to vicroads with certificate, they keep it on record and change the engine number to match what is in the car. Exactly what i did.

Pretty simple really.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 28, 2012 2:26 pm

sorry thats what i meant engine number not vin
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Bradenrm

Post by Bradenrm » Mon May 28, 2012 3:17 pm

As far as I know just disc brake rear end required? (As far as I can judge from the board)

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon May 28, 2012 4:27 pm

did you change the engine mounts?
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Venom
General Member

Post by Venom » Mon May 28, 2012 4:42 pm

That is a rumour which continues to self propogate. Not just a subaru thing either. Talk to an engineer. When i spoke to my engineer he said in most cases rear discs are not necessary.

He just looked at the engine and wiring. That was certified on it's own merits. Engine mounts, ecu, how it was wired up, O2 sensors, cat converters, exhaust DBs. Nothing to do with brakes.

If you change the brakes then they need to be engineered. A brake test is 4-600 dollars, and at the end of the day may be totally unecessary.

Haven't seen anyone mention first hand been told by and engineer to have rear discs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

purp

Post by purp » Mon May 28, 2012 5:01 pm

Venom wrote:That is a rumour which continues to self propogate. Not just a subaru thing either. Talk to an engineer. When i spoke to my engineer he said in most cases rear discs are not necessary.

He just looked at the engine and wiring. That was certified on it's own merits. Engine mounts, ecu, how it was wired up, O2 sensors, cat converters, exhaust DBs. Nothing to do with brakes.

If you change the brakes then they need to be engineered. A brake test is 4-600 dollars, and at the end of the day may be totally unecessary.

Haven't seen anyone mention first hand been told by and engineer to have rear discs.
I know several people who have had cars with engine upgrades signed off without upgrading the brakes. I had one friend who was specifically told that they couldn't upgrade the brakes unless they upgraded the entire suspension as well (which wasn't practical).

tambox

Possible solution

Post by tambox » Mon May 28, 2012 7:48 pm

This is the path I was heading down.
At one stage I had the L registered as turbo, it did not require an engineers cert for that, as it was EFI.
In the process it scored rear disks and a suspension upgrade.

From talking to mechanic friends and engineers, as all the parts bolt directly to the existing chassis, no body mods required.
Once an engineer has certified the conversion concept, the engineers certificate can be used by other similar vehicles, provided its done as per cert.
Under Vic roads modifications clause 3, a mechanic can inspect and write a letter stating the bolt on modifications comply with the engineers certificate.
This can then be presented to Vic roads with the change of vehicle description form filled out.

Vic roads agreed with this, when I put it to them like that, and they re-read clause 3. (then she asked her boss)

Any body got a spare l with ej22 engineers cert????

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue May 29, 2012 9:12 am

You probably should have spoken to an engineer from the get go (before doing anything). In your case it may not matter though.

All my plans have being conveyed to an engineer prior to anything being done, and so he/she can direct us as to any specific requirements they have.

Just make sure you have a receipt for the new engine stating the engine number, or a receipt for the car it came from as well.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 31, 2012 7:11 pm

tambox wrote:Once an engineer has certified the conversion concept, the engineers certificate can be used by other similar vehicles, provided its done as per cert.
And there's MANY ways to do an EJ conversion! Apparently mine's really neat, I didn't think so but apparently running the wiring along the same sort of lines that it was originally counts :D
tambox wrote:Under Vic roads modifications clause 3, a mechanic can inspect and write a letter stating the bolt on modifications comply with the engineers certificate.
This can then be presented to Vic roads with the change of vehicle description form filled out.
Does this count for a lift kit - that's bolt on :twisted:
tambox wrote:Any body got a spare l with ej22 engineers cert????
I wish I could say I do to this, but I didn't have $800 to $1G at the time so I didn't go through with it :(

I doubt I'd be able to get mine engineered these days :( because of the welding

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Talked to Vic roads, as there was no chassis mods and the engine was from the cars manufacturer and bolted straight in, all I was told to do was fill out a change of description form and preset it at Vic Roads for inspection.
As it was registered as a turbo, the power increase was within Vic Roads specs.
Had a mechanic friend look at it and he said nobody would know, its like fitting a 308 in place of a 253.
Vic roads inspected it with a 2" lift,14" mags and duel fuel (certified).
Only comment was it looks neat.
I did not know what the Vic Roads inspector was looking for, I didn't point anything out and put the engine as a 2200 on the form.
Engine number is now on the rego.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:43 pm

tambox wrote:Talked to Vic roads, as there was no chassis mods and the engine was from the cars manufacturer and bolted straight in, all I was told to do was fill out a change of description form and preset it at Vic Roads for inspection.
As it was registered as a turbo, the power increase was within Vic Roads specs.
Had a mechanic friend look at it and he said nobody would know, its like fitting a 308 in place of a 253.
Vic roads inspected it with a 2" lift,14" mags and duel fuel (certified).
Only comment was it looks neat.
I did not know what the Vic Roads inspector was looking for, I didn't point anything out and put the engine as a 2200 on the form.
Engine number is now on the rego.

interesting, no doubt it is slightly luck of the draw also [which vicroads depot you attend and how much they care/know about modification legalities].

however in my opinion its a grey area for insurance. because if you prang it and its engineered but not for every single thing insurance can still screw you over.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Can't imagine what a teacher member is thinking right now as he reads this ......

spoken to one RTA fella about Brumby engine updates - he thought the later ones came out as EJ anyway. Also commented many inspectors would not knotice anyway if all was very tidy.
As for brake upgrades reckoned the Brumby had good brakes and no mods needed for some upgrades - it is all up to the engineer for final say if you have to go through one.

Another comment was on the interpretation of the rules was another stroke of luck for some....

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:47 pm

True steptoe.
if you spend time reading the vicroads modification guidelines and the roadworthiness requirements guidelines along with all the other various documents, it becomes very open to interpretation.

i'll bet i could do an ej25 on the brumby and not engineer it and never get into trouble. but if i prang it my insurance is null and void and i lose everything.

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”