EJ20T stalls out on gear change

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
SUBIIE

EJ20T stalls out on gear change

Post by SUBIIE » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am

Hi Team,

ej20t GC8 in a brumby, pod filter.

On deceleration, lets say to a set of lights, the engine will stall out between gear changes if I dont make them quick enough. But if I roll in slowly and are quick in down shifting then there are no problems, car will happily sit there at 800 rpm idle.

Any ideas?
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:01 pm

AFM/TPS possibly... have you ran a diagnostic on it?

also seen issues in other car types using after market air filters if they shorten the track too far from the standard intake length
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Do you have an atmospheric venting blow off valve? This will cause issues because the air flow meter calculates how much air is drawn in and injects the required fuel, but if part of that air is dumped through the blow off valve, the same fuel is still injected and and makes air/fuel mixtures extremely rich for a few seconds, making the engine stall
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Gannon wrote:Do you have an atmospheric venting blow off valve? This will cause issues because the air flow meter calculates how much air is drawn in and injects the required fuel, but if part of that air is dumped through the blow off valve, the same fuel is still injected and and makes air/fuel mixtures extremely rich for a few seconds, making the engine stall
+1

This was my first thought. I'd be checking for error codes ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:20 pm

ok, all a bit over my head despite doing the conversion myself.

The AFM is still there, I just put the Pod filter on where the air box attached.

That was my thought originally.

No fault codes coming up apart from the check engine light coming on when doing a long descent and not using the throttle at all using the engibne to break the car.

Could the AFM be faulty, or is it more likely to be the change in flow from the pod?
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”