engine/gearbox clearence on ej20t brumby

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
SUBIIE

engine/gearbox clearence on ej20t brumby

Post by SUBIIE » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi team.

my brumby has been on the road for a while, but as you may see from other threads i am having significant issues with geomoetry in the stering department because the engine and gearbox have been dropped 2 inches.

I was wondering wha tother people have used to fit the engine/gearbox in. this surely is not a new thing.

Have noticed tha tthe bonnet easily has 1 inch at standard height, but my big concern is the gearbox in the tunnel and or the gear linkage assembly.

Anothe ris how close the turbo will be to the clutch master cyclinder and the brake master cylinder.

any thoughts?
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:56 am

When you say dropped 2" , this is the same as a 2" body lift? If not, I don't understand... a 2" lift just at the front? I have been for a ride in a Brumby with EJ20 turbo and AWD box, took pics and lost them with last PC. It was at standard height, standard rims and brakes.

Point

Post by Point » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:51 am

I just checked your build thread and I think that the Impreza rack is your problem, not the lift blocks. The Impreza rack is longer between the inner pivots, which means the arc that they move through is different to the suspension arms, which would make it bump steer.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

SUBIIE

Post by SUBIIE » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:42 pm

How could it be the rack!

I cut the ends off the rack so as it was identical to the EA81 rack, and then modified (filed the mounting bracket to fit.

This cant be the problem, because with a proper wheel alignment nothing was revealed.

The problem i am sure is the change in geometry with the drop.

Steptoe; pickup mate! as i understood to fit everything under the bonnet i needed to create room so by using 2 inch blocks on the engine+gearbox crossmember i was creating that space while not lifting the actual body.

Back to the crux, engine will fit but how much bashing does the gearbox tunnel need, because that is what seems like it needs.
1992 'Annivesary' Subaru Brumby, amp-6x9"'s-kevlar 6"'s-tweeters, power windows, and a 1995 WRX EJ20t engine finally installed, engineered and blue slipped. Wow, try and catch me up the mountain!
http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13343
The horse feed car; 1988 subaru brumby, targa top, and in need of some tlc.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:01 pm

SUBIIE wrote:engine will fit but how much bashing does the gearbox tunnel need, because that is what seems like it needs.
On the L series 5 speed there's a little bump in the casing on the top of the gearbox, this needs to be ground down to fit the gearbox in the car - There might also be another section of the trans tunnel that needs a tap to fit the gearbox but I'm not 100% sure on this.

If it's the gearbox that's the issue I'm sure you could add a lift block to drop the gearbox down to make it fit instead of having the engine crossmember dropped... maybe.

Could be a gearbox out situation to get this right. Worth the effort to make it right IMO.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

stenno

Post by stenno » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:21 pm

How do the pivot points of the control arm look? Crossmember end higher from ground than the ball joint end at static and full compressed? It could explain the handling issues maybe.
Whiteline roll centre kit for a wrx may help fix it and also includes spaced steering rack ends too, these will help with bump steer

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”