my STI Brumby

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
chinski

my STI Brumby

Post by chinski » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Hi everyone, thought i would start a thread about the Brumby i recently purchased, i wasn't really sure what kind of ute i was looking for, hilux space cab, rodeo etc, they all looked a bit boring, my last ute was a Ford AU XR8 so wanted a 4 cylinder this time, i need a ute for where i live & taking roadbike to track days, so Brumby has been bought to be used as a ute, a fun one !!

i looked at some turbo hiluxs online but all were lowered with big chrome mags & a bit boy racer looking , i have always loved sleepers & thats what this Brumby is going to be, keep it looking as standard as i can, but going quick !!

it's a 1986 Brumby with a 2001 STI Type M forester engine & auto transmission, has a liberty scoop moulded into bonnet for top mount intercooler & doesn't stand out to much, just fitted a new stainless steel set of high flow headers ( had to be cut / welded to fit around crossmember) up to turbo & 3 inch dump pipe ( also cut & welded to fit )with no cat feeding into 2 1/2 inch exhaust, fitted new tyres, removed 2 inch lift kit,got wheel alignment, removed alloy bull bar & fitted a bumper, modded alloy bash plate ( cut lol) to fit new exhaust & painted it, painted stainless exhaust " cannon" black to be more stealthy, it still has 4 stud brumby wheels, hubs, suspension, front brakes, ( rear discs from L series turbo), rear diff from '92 liberty, all outer CVs still brumby but inner from forester / liberty, has a holden VL fuel pump feeding into surge tank, air filter from a land rover haha !! had full respray in a Fiesta gold with lots of pearl & many clear coats, has STI dash, steering wheel, auto selector, fitted a boost gauge, changed oil & filter, 2 inch drop for engine & trans, customised crossmembers, widened chassis rails to fit engine.

thats about it for current mods, more to come mainly to engine & driveline to gain peformance, exterior only needs afew things to finish it off.

pics !!!:D:D

when i first got it

after fitting bumper

before removing lift kit

new headers

1986 Brumby with MY00 WRX engine :mrgreen:

chinski

Post by chinski » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:07 pm

they sat so low

fitted bash guard & adjusted front suspension up a bit

painted it becuase it stood out to much

muffler before: stood out to much

chinski

Post by chinski » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:08 pm

after

boost gauge in air vent

engine

3 inch dump pipe

setting Brumby to work today with 7 tip runs after building new kitchen

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Yew looks nice man. after seeing this has made me drag out my Brumby and start fiddiling with it ;-)

P/S its not an STI steering wheel, factory forester

H-top

Post by H-top » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:51 pm

very nice. is it tuned?

the body is amazing!

the 4.44 ratio auto/turbo combo is such a nice drive.

good find.
H-Top

rolling in

MY00 GT Foz - Auto, Turbo, Luxury

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:48 am

That brake master is screaming out for a heat shield. I find the waffle heat shield found under Falcon floors rear muffler area is excellent to work with and shielding qualities are top stuff.

84superoo

Post by 84superoo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:34 am

I wanted to buy this so bad when it was for sale, you've got your self an awesome rig mate I love it! :D

chinski

Post by chinski » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:29 pm

Green_eyed_liberty wrote:Yew looks nice man. after seeing this has made me drag out my Brumby and start fiddiling with it ;-)

P/S its not an STI steering wheel, factory forester
sweet mate hopefully go for a brumby cruise around the coast one day !

don't know why they went with standard wheel ? i didn't realise, will start hunting for STI one now :cool:

Nope no tune yet, i want to get it dyno tuned & adjustable boost controller, don't know where or what to use yet but thats the plan.

didn't even think of heat shield, will get onto that for sure ! cheers

i think it was for sale for a while, all hard work was done just needs some finishing touches

chinski

Post by chinski » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:36 pm

Fitted a Pod filter from Repco yesterday, had to modify Land Rover airbox the Brumby's running to make it fit, but holy shit it has made a MASSIVE difference to the car, filters were $40 but were on sale for $10, i sprayed it with K&N filter oil & driving it is like a new car !!! unreal ! comes up to boost from vacuum so much quicker & lower in rev range, i can't believe how restrictive the Land Rover one must be that a $10 pod has changed the car so much !!

and heres a pic of the Doggies going for a ride, for no reason other than dogs love ute rides !! whoooo !!

Tigger

Post by Tigger » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:49 pm

:) I'm glad you are really enjoying your new Brumby! I absolutely love the colour!
ImageImageImage
2012 Subaru Forester - 2.0D Premium ~ 2002 Subaru Forester - Limited (Lifted)

Scoobie Doobie

Post by Scoobie Doobie » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Hi mate,

Great buy mate, totally awesome colour and set up and love the woofas in the rear. Any chance you could post a pic of the scoop set up more so from underneath the bonnet, the ones you've already posted just miss the detail. I'm in two minds at the moment as to whether to modify mine, as currently I'm running a waic set up with no scoop and under bonnet temps go a bit crazy, so was thinking that a scoop might solve that issue but most of the ones I've seen are a bit obtrusive. I too love the sleeper look and your set up is by far the best one I've seem. Wicked rig mate. :twisted::

Regards

Adam
To tinker or not to tinker that is the question?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:22 pm

be careful with that oil on the air filter, the Subaru AFM's doesn't like the oil.

I had a genuine K&N filter and it almost rendered the car un-driveable until I figured it out. ran fine for a while...... then stuttered and ran rich

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:18 am

I've been looking at this exact Brumby on carsales for ages but I've never had the money :(

Good pick, this was the auto wasn't it?
This is pretty much the plan for mine eventually, same metallic type paint job too but in green :D
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”