carbed ej18 into my carbed l series

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Sat May 03, 2014 11:31 pm

TOONGA wrote:showthread.php?t=7011

EJ 1992 FSM Section 6.1 - Engine Electrical System

compare with

Section 6.1 - Engine Electrical System of the EA 82 FSM in the old section here http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru.

For the wiring

TOONGA
Thanks a million:)

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Sat May 03, 2014 11:33 pm

El_Freddo wrote:If you can, do a visual comparison of the wiring in each dizzy to double check that they go to the same place/do the same thing between the two dizzies.

Also check your fuses, you could have blown one for some reason... stranger things have happened!

Cheers

Bennie
Cheers Bennie. :)

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Sat May 03, 2014 11:36 pm

wagonist wrote:Really, You couldn't trace 5 wires?
It's been 15 years since I had a carb version
but at least 2 are coolant temp & oil pressure
Thanks, and apologies for the poor wire tracing skills ;)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 am

yobhgareb wrote:Thanks a million:)
not a problem, I forgot about the carby section for the EJ motor on that page as well

showthread.php?t=7011

Section 2.6 - Carburetor

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Mon May 05, 2014 3:24 am

TOONGA wrote:not a problem, I forgot about the carby section for the EJ motor on that page as

showthread.php?t=7011

Section 2.6 - Carburetor

TOONGA
Thanks again. Ive got the engine wires sorted now. When I attempt to start the car, its blowing the ignition coil and fuel 15 amp fuse in the car:confused: .

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 10, 2014 1:43 pm

yobhgareb wrote:Thanks again. Ive got the engine wires sorted now. When I attempt to start the car, its blowing the ignition coil and fuel 15 amp fuse in the car:confused: .
Double check the wiring - don't rely purely on the colour codes of the wires in the two systems, as lining them up might not do the job.

This is why I suggested comparing the two dizzies to see what wire does exactly what.

If it's blowing fuses, one after the other, there's something wrong with the wiring and it most likely is within the wiring conversion from the L loom to the dizzy.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:58 am

Definitely double check the wiring to the coil and the alternator
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Mon May 12, 2014 7:41 am

Thanks guys. ive checked and double checked everything. Im going to try a different starter, as the one on there at the minute came of a grubby old scrap yard impreza that has laid up a while.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 16, 2014 6:57 pm

The starter won't do much for actually getting the engine to fire up if there's an issue.

But that said, if the starter (or battery) are not up to the task it's best to have them sorted as you're doing. That extra bit of kick can be amazing in starting an engine that's been sitting for a while!

Cheers

Bennie

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Post by Loyale 2.7 Turbo » Sun May 18, 2014 4:08 pm

yobhgareb wrote:...Just dropped the engine in to see how it fits. I believe I'll still get my spare wheel in too:D

Really Nice & Clean Swap, Good Job!

We also got the Carburated EJ Engines here in Honduras, on Subarus with LADM
(Latin American Domestic Market) Specs; I'll Like to know how the Overall car's performance changes with the EJ18, instead the EA82. Keep us Updated! ;)

Kind Regards.

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Wed May 21, 2014 8:57 am

Hi guys. got the fuse problem sorted and the engine running this evening:D .Ive not got ej headers yet, so its pretty noisy!!! I have seen some unequal length borla reps for sale online, but its difficult to tell if they would work with the skid plate on the l series. I fancy a bit of suby burble:cool:.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed May 21, 2014 11:14 am

The uneven headers are great and if you still want the skid plate you can put spacers between it and the crossmember sort all fits.

Would love to see some video of the engine running

TOONGA

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 pm

[QUOTsounds =TOONGA;231311]The uneven headers are great and if you still want the skid plate you can put spacers between it and the crossmember sort all fits.

Would love to see some video of the engine running

TOONGA[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the way to go for sure. I will get a video up as soon as I get headers on.:)
On a side note, I met an guy in the local scrap yard last week who has few old fwd l series and early legacies in his posession from the 80's and 90's laid up.He says he thinks one of the legos is 1.6 carby. His place is only 20 mins from me, so im gonna give him a call to have a look around.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Wed May 21, 2014 4:16 pm

Have you looked around for the factory headers? Tho not many 1.8 Imprezas around.
Just got to stick a bolt in the O2 sensor hole. Or just leave it there unplugged and confuse your local Subaru dealer :p
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Thu May 22, 2014 12:16 am

wagonist wrote:Have you looked around for the factory headers? Tho not many 1.8 Imprezas around.
Just got to stick a bolt in the O2 sensor hole. Or just leave it there unplugged and confuse your local Subaru dealer :p
There are 2 impreza sports in local breaker that have factory headers. I just fancy the unequal length for the burble.

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Thu May 22, 2014 5:05 pm

The factory ones should be unequal length on stuff pre 00.
They're the same layout as the L series. One straight & one curving around the back.
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu May 22, 2014 7:48 pm

yobhgareb wrote: On a side note, I met an guy in the local scrap yard last week who has few old fwd l series and early legacies in his posession from the 80's and 90's laid up.He says he thinks one of the legos is 1.6 carby. His place is only 20 mins from me, so im gonna give him a call to have a look around.
Very interesting please let me know if he has it still :)
wagonist wrote:The factory ones should be unequal length on stuff pre 00.
They're the same layout as the L series. One straight & one curving around the back.
Not all are uneven length, I got a set off an impreza EJ18 for my EJ22 conversion in my vortex and they are equal length. I don't like them at all :( Eventually They will need to be relpaced with an uneven set.

I hope to see a video soon :)

TOONGA

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Fri May 23, 2014 9:32 pm

I missed the uneven headers on the bay of dreams :mad:
Im going to see this guy with the old legos tomorrow, so hopefully i'll grab headers of some sort there.
Im having problems keeping the car running. When i turn the key in the ignition, the fuel pump engages and sends some fuel up the line, and when i start the engine it runs great for 10 seconds and stops due to what seems like not getting petrol. I have good spark, and the carb got a good clean yesterday, bowl cleaned and all lines blew out carefully. Im thinking that the ej18 carb engine may need a more capable fuel pump than the little one under the L series.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 am

This sounds like the prime start circuit is working but the fuel run circuit is not.

In the later models, Subaru had to fit fuel relays that would shut off if the engine wasn't turning. This was to avoid fuel spills if the car was involved in an accident.

This relay was connected via the dizzy/coil, so I'd check that you have the fuel pump run circuit connected up. I'm not sure of the wiring colours off the top of my head but if you grab a copy of the WorkShop Manual for you model, then I'd check the wiring diagram.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 24, 2014 10:36 am

TOONGA wrote:Not all are uneven length, I got a set off an impreza EJ18 for my EJ22 conversion in my vortex and they are equal length. I don't like them at all :( Eventually They will need to be relpaced with an uneven set.
It's pretty easy to tell if they're un even or not - just need to look at them and work out if they're the same on both sides or not...

From what I remember KPM Guyph tried out a set of replica borla un-equal length extractors but I'm pretty sure he lost some clearance with the bend in his bash plate having to come forward to clear the extractors that sat in front of the sump...
wagonist wrote:The factory ones should be unequal length on stuff pre 00.
My thoughts too. Easy to tell though!
RSR 555 wrote:This sounds like the prime start circuit is working but the fuel run circuit is not.
Agreed. It could be one reference wire between the fuel run circuit and the dizzy that needs connecting to sort out this issue.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”