carbed ej18 into my carbed l series

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:47 pm

steptoe wrote:Disco was always discussing these bands to ID things, info is in factory manuals
Got any links or info on this?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 pm

yobhgareb wrote:I disassembled the ej dual range trans today , and have both bare front casings in the back of my dad's jeep so he can get them steam hosed tomorrow when I'm at work.
I think I went about it an awkward way, and would like some advice from someone who has done the reassemble if possible.
First off , I removed all bolts holding the front two case halves together, then undid all the bolts holding the front halves to the middle section. Then I got the bonds cracked on the front casings, and got a gap to open between them and also a gap between front and middle sections. It was through this middle gap that I could see two bolts holding the gear shafts to one of the front half casings. I managed to get these undone with a twelve spanner, but realise there has to be an easier way that involves less manoeuvring of the trans. My fear is damaging or displacing some of the components on my ea box.
It's pretty simple - remove the top plate on the rear housing section, find the 10mm bolt on the selector shaft and loosen it off so the selector shaft can move freely with that retainer arm being independent.

Then remove the rear housing bolts, the rear housing should move off easily after some gentle persuasion. Then attend to the bearing bolts holding the two cases together internally, then remove the external bolts to split the case including the input shaft bearing bolts - make sure you've removed the arm from the low range lever too. Have the dip stick side of the gearbox up to split the cases, this will allow the diff to remain in the other housing and make it easier/lighter to remove the half case.

To put it back together you'll need some torque specs for each bolt. Working out the diff backlash and preload is worth going to a builder for. With my first build I winged it and all was good. Second one was done by a guy who knew how to adjust the diff settings so they're correct.
yobhgareb wrote:I'll get those pics right yet. Heres another of the saab radiator in place. The rubber grommets from the old l series rad fit onto the dowels on the bottom of this rad also. I may be lucky to get one of the original holes for the lower dowels to work, but it won't be difficult to drill two if its nessecary for best location.
New holes have to be drilled for the top fixing points on the rad when I have it exactly where I want it
[ATTACH]4379[/ATTACH]
That's an awesome fit - the radiator outlets are 40mm as well? And this came from a 2 litre turbo saab correct?
steptoe wrote:Disco was always discussing these bands to ID things, info is in factory manuals
I need to get some factory manuals - but then again, I reckon I'm doing alright so far :rolleyes:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:06 pm

Thanks for the transmission advice Bennie. I am having it done by a builder,
I might try it myself in the future.
Pretty chuffed with the radiator myself, took a few evenings of trawling
through ebay looking at all the rads for sale and reading dimensions
before I chose this one. It is indeed from a saab 900 turbo , the model
that came out in 1985.

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 pm

The outlets are the same as ea82 radiator.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:17 pm

yobhgareb wrote:Thanks for the transmission advice Bennie.
No worries ;)
yobhgareb wrote:Pretty chuffed with the radiator myself, took a few evenings of trawling...It is indeed from a saab 900 turbo , the model
that came out in 1985.
Sweet.
yobhgareb wrote:The outlets are the same as ea82 radiator.
Bummer - but might look into it as an option too. Looks like I might have a few options to follow now :D

Cheers

Bennie

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:51 am

eventually got my trans back last weekend , so work can continue now. I pulled the clutch and flywheel off last night to replace rear crank seal. Dry as a bone back there , but im taking no chances. Got old seal out handy enough, opened my new one that came in the post, only to find its bent outa shape and has a ding in it. :( . Got a new seal today again.
im gonna use the ea82 alternator , as the loom for the ej alt didn't come on the engine. It fits in place perfect, and the ej pully fits with minor fettling. Hopefully it'll do the job.

M0rpH

Post by M0rpH » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:47 am

Stick to the EJ alternator.
The power output ability is worth it rather than cutting corners.
Someone will correct me if i am talking crap.
91 Leone wagon, body and suspension lift. Currently collecting parts for rebuild.
Currently rebuilding EA82.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 pm

You will need to one wire on the EJ alternator to ignition on only, otherwise it will always be on and drain the battery.

showthread.php?t=14943

showthread.php?t=3385&

If you can use the Alternator you have there is a spacer between the pulley and the body of the alternator that will need to be lathed.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 am

TOONGA wrote:You will need to one wire on the EJ alternator to ignition on only, otherwise it will always be on and drain the battery.

showthread.php?t=14943

showthread.php?t=3385&

If you can use the Alternator you have there is a spacer between the pulley and the body of the alternator that will need to be lathed.

TOONGA
The pulley from my ej alternator doesn't fit on ea alt shaft. So it will need redrilled to fit. Nothings easy :) . I will work something out this weekend , I have found a ej alt loom at a local breaker, so just got to lift it.
My ej18 came from a fwd , so gonna grab an awd flywheel when im there too.
[ATTACH]4404[/ATTACH]
Just dropped the engine in to see how it fits. I believe I'll still get my spare wheel in too:D
Attachments
20140331_225006-1.jpg
20140331_225006-1.jpg (102.14 KiB) Viewed 4789 times

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Being that you're running a carb'd EJ setup I reckon the stock EA82 alternator will be more than capable of the job.

If it were an EFI EJ conversion I'd be pushing you to upgrade the alternator to the EJ unit ;)

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:42 pm

+1 for what Bennie said. Your car/engine is not requiring extra amps
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Sat May 03, 2014 8:43 am

Thanks guys. Ive gone with the ej alternator spliced into the l series loom. Im havin good problems getting a spark. The coil is now mounted on the drivers side of the car, opposite to when the ea82 was in there, so ive lengthened the wires for coil and disty to reach. Ive fitted new disty cap, plugs and leads and even tried the coil from the l series engine,(which is identical visually and has same numbers on) but cant get a spark. It's getting frustrating to say the least. Anyone got any ideas?:???:
There is a plug on the ea82 carby engine with 5 wires connecting into the car loom. The ej18 carb has a five wire engine plug as well, but it was a different shape, so ive connected the ej engine to the ea loom with a new 5 wire plug. Ive wired the plug connecting wires of the same colour. its a chance to take but I couldn't find any info on the wires uses. I don't think this will affect spark or not?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 03, 2014 11:17 am

If you can, do a visual comparison of the wiring in each dizzy to double check that they go to the same place/do the same thing between the two dizzies.

Also check your fuses, you could have blown one for some reason... stranger things have happened!

Cheers

Bennie

wagonist

Post by wagonist » Sat May 03, 2014 4:59 pm

Really, You couldn't trace 5 wires?
It's been 15 years since I had a carb version
but at least 2 are coolant temp & oil pressure
Current rides:
JDM GTII Touring wagon
88 RX Turbo Full-time 4wd touring wagon project - 97 Toyota Caldina GTT (turbo 4wd WRX eater:twisted:) - Hyundai Excel Rally Car:confused::???:
Previous rides:
93 Legacy GT wagon - 85 RX Turbo Full time 4wd Touring Wagon - 85 GL AWD sedan
96 Toyota Caldina wagon

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 03, 2014 6:16 pm

showthread.php?t=7011

EJ 1992 FSM Section 6.1 - Engine Electrical System

compare with

Section 6.1 - Engine Electrical System of the EA 82 FSM in the old section here http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru.

For the wiring

TOONGA

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Sat May 03, 2014 11:31 pm

TOONGA wrote:showthread.php?t=7011

EJ 1992 FSM Section 6.1 - Engine Electrical System

compare with

Section 6.1 - Engine Electrical System of the EA 82 FSM in the old section here http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru.

For the wiring

TOONGA
Thanks a million:)

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Sat May 03, 2014 11:33 pm

El_Freddo wrote:If you can, do a visual comparison of the wiring in each dizzy to double check that they go to the same place/do the same thing between the two dizzies.

Also check your fuses, you could have blown one for some reason... stranger things have happened!

Cheers

Bennie
Cheers Bennie. :)

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Sat May 03, 2014 11:36 pm

wagonist wrote:Really, You couldn't trace 5 wires?
It's been 15 years since I had a carb version
but at least 2 are coolant temp & oil pressure
Thanks, and apologies for the poor wire tracing skills ;)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun May 04, 2014 9:53 am

yobhgareb wrote:Thanks a million:)
not a problem, I forgot about the carby section for the EJ motor on that page as well

showthread.php?t=7011

Section 2.6 - Carburetor

TOONGA

yobhgareb

Post by yobhgareb » Mon May 05, 2014 3:24 am

TOONGA wrote:not a problem, I forgot about the carby section for the EJ motor on that page as

showthread.php?t=7011

Section 2.6 - Carburetor

TOONGA
Thanks again. Ive got the engine wires sorted now. When I attempt to start the car, its blowing the ignition coil and fuel 15 amp fuse in the car:confused: .

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”