Fitting an EJ Motor into an MY or L Series Subaru

Any thing and every thing ever asked about how to do an EJ conversion to an L series and MY. Includes Brumby and Coupe.
hypobrumby

Post by hypobrumby » Mon May 15, 2006 8:15 pm

hey hows it going guys is there a step by step or similar instructions for the ej20t motor to go in a 85mdl brumby can you help me out with anything even if its just the problems im going to run in to doing this conversion i was thinking of getting a half cut 97/98 wrx please help

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Mon May 15, 2006 9:08 pm

There is no step by step guide to doing it because as far as I know there is no one accepted method. There are so many ways to do the different parts of the conversion that any guide would be a red hot topic of discussion.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Fri May 19, 2006 1:02 am

EJ22 or similar into Lseries
its prolly been answered but how much roughly would an engine conversion cost to do (cost of engine/parts and labour)?
is it worth tackling yourself if u are inexperienced but keen?

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Wed May 24, 2006 8:08 pm

what would be a good price for

ej20 sohc
ej22 sohc

with ecu + loom
for an my conversion

thanks mathew

KERAZY

Post by KERAZY » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:59 pm

yes how much? what about including the gearbox/tailshaft/crossmember components?

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:06 pm

KERAZY wrote:yes how much? what about including the gearbox/tailshaft/crossmember components?
How long is a piece of string, to get all the components that you are asking about you would be better off buying a front cut which will get you all the bits you want except maybe the tail shaft.
You could expext to spend anything from 2500 up to maybe 4000 depending on where you get it from and who is selling it , I have seen them on ebay at times, this of course is just the begining you then have lots to do for the instalation.

Mike.
ImageImage

BaronVonChickenPants
General Member

Post by BaronVonChickenPants » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:28 pm

I got everything I need for the conversion for under $1,500, mostly from ebay, BUT my loom is butchered and needs to be rebuilt from scratch where as with a front cut it would still be intact.

The RS Liberty forum is a good place to find a cheap(ish) engine and/or gearbox, most people just want them out of the way after a turbo conversion.

Also the tailshaft is a custom job, you can't just unblolt and EJ shaft and bolt it straight in like with and L Series 5 speed conversion.

Jordan.
To become old and wise, first you must survive being young and dumb.

85wrx

Post by 85wrx » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:40 pm

I am completing a conversion with EJ20 engine to EA gearbox using an adapter plate. What are the flywheel and clucth options/combinations that can be considered when completing this conversion?

1. Using EJ Flywheel with what clutch?
2. Using EA MY flywheel with what clutch?
3. Using EA L series flywheel with what clutch?

What are the different clutches that can be fitted in the MY or L series?

MUDRAT

Post by MUDRAT » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:58 pm

Any EA series flywheel you can use with the clutch originally designed for that engine/gearbox combination.

The trick is getting the flywheel to mate to the engine. I used a custom flywheel from VolksConversions. There are several other methods you can use, I really haven't had enough experience with them to recommend any.
Monster Subaru sold to a good home!! Still a Subaru owner. Will try stay in the Ausubaru loop. Sorry :cool:

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:56 pm

Couple of things , the ej flywheel will not fit inside the ea gearbox bell housing so you will have to use the ea flywheel , you will however have to modify the bolt holes as they aren't the same as the ej , make up a patern from the ej flywheel and overlay it on the ea flywheel and you will see how little you will need to elongat some of the bolt holes, i ised a dremel to grind the holes to the right size and shape.
As far as the clutch , when I did the ej motor to the ea box i just used the ea clutch set-up that was with the box.

Mike.
ImageImage

El_Freddo
Master Member

Brakes with conversions??? Possible conversion guide?

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:20 pm

Hey all,

No one mentions brakes here... What are the legal requirements for brakes with these conversions? For an L series going for an EJ20 conversion do you only need standard discs all round - this meaning that the rear drums would have to be replaced with a set of RX or Vortex calipers + rear discs to suit (2wd or 4wd)?
And can you bolt the discs and calpers straight on, bleed the brakes and that's it or do you have to add a restrictor in the line to the rear or change the master cylinder?

If your going to get an EJ22 or EJ25 conversion, do you have to up the brakes to at least the standard of the model the engine originally comes from?

Lastly, do both conversions (with awd gearbox too) have to be engineered or just the EJ22/EJ25 conversions?

I know there have been write ups about the conversions, such as this thread, could a group of us get together (maybe the QLD or WA crew as they seem to be sorted with this kinda thing) and write some form of manual about conversions, not just about the engine and gearbox but the full mechanical packages. Or at least have a guide to legal conversions or what is needed to make your planned conversion into a legal dream come true...

Example:

L-series + EJ20 + AWD Box = Discs all round (or upgraded discs all round from donor car or better if this is the case) - Then maybe a little speal about what needs to be modified or if a lift kit works well to create better clearances for the gearbox... etc

I realise this would be hard to do with different restrictions in different states, but if we all get together and knock heads i'm sure we could come up with a guide for each state... I would be a part of this if i have done the conversion, but unless someone throws an EJ20 + loom, awd hi/lo gearbox + diff my way i'm poking (politely) for info...

I think there are many of us hungry for this info, and as stated, there is no one way to go about it, so i think a guide might be a good start to show what your up for in terms of labour and parts. This could be added to the download link... As for costs, I think cost really comes down to the individual and their project.

Sorry bout the long post

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

TW83

Post by TW83 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:34 pm

A manual of that kind would take a bloody long time to make as there are so many possible combinations. What is the incentive for the people that can write one, to do it?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:54 pm

Hey TW83,
The incentive would be to allow people to read the guide and have a better idea of what's involved to hopefully eliminate basic questions about this type of conversion...
There's also the feeling of achievement... I dunno, if i had the knowledge i would like to share it and i feel that a guide would be a good way to do it in a simply laid out form... It may take a while to put together, but if done properly it would be an effective tool for those who are planning or doing it for the first time...

I would also like to know about the brake questions i had in my prevoius post, i think this is a very important area that is not always looked at from the start of a conversion. I know there is now a kit available from a member on this forum... but does everyone need this kit for their conversion?

sorry if i've stirred the pot, it was un-intentional.

TW83

Post by TW83 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:47 pm

Sorry El Fredo, was hungover when I posted and not really seeing the light in the world.
I am also doing an ej conversion for the first time and admit a manual could be handy. Just discovered the Ausubaru technical manual is back up so that could be useful.
As for the brakes, im pretty confident (don't quote me) that you can leave the brakes standard . Thats in WA though. The crossbred brake kit isn't essentail for an ej conversion but is probably a damn good idea. I personally cant afford that kit yet so will be going with the standard brakes, with some new discs and pads. Then I'll look at getting some RX rear discs or the conversion kit.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:33 pm

No worries TW83,

I think over here in sunny vic we can keep the original brakes up to 2 ltr motors if the standard setup has a 1.8 ltr motor in it... i only say "i think" cos i haven't looked it up on anything that's recognised as offical...

I'm still at uni and am planning for a 3 inch lift, EJ20 and a manual forester/liberty/outback hi/lo range awd box with lockable central diff... When i get around to running bigger wheels (diameter for offroading) i'd like the brake kit too... But for now i'm sticking with the MPFI EA82, i'm currently rebuilding one too, started that before finding out about EJ conversions.

Anyway, i think if we're to continue this tangent we should start our own thread...

Cheers

robdddd

Post by robdddd » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:32 pm

TW83,

if that is right about WA and brakes this is good news for me....currently installing an EJ22 in an L series Wagon and was wondering about the brakes......from what i see on teh site you are doing an EJ22 conversion?

Can anyone else in WA verify what is required...Vidler should know having done the EJ22 and then EJ25 conversions.

rob

tim_81coupe
General Member

Post by tim_81coupe » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:24 am

No brake upgrade is required. I beleive OS got an L series or two over the pits fitted with EJ20G's and rear drums.
82 MY Wagon, EJ20G

87 RX, EJ20G

89 Brumby, EA81

12 BRZ, FA20

TW83

Post by TW83 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 am

From what I remember from the governments website is that it appeared that upgrading the brakes would be harder to pass than upgrading the engine.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:20 pm

that sounds about right about the engine easier than the brakes to pass, it's more important to slow down and stop than to go faster... but that said, with the upgrade of engine, the brakes will have more trouble keeping cool with harder braking that may be used with a larger engine and quicker acceloration, thus resulting in brake fade and no brakes... One of my mates who races cars told me this but i'm sure it was put a lot better than i have just now...

Me is good speaker english. :P

oldskoolscooby

Post by oldskoolscooby » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:05 am

a dont now if a can ask the queastion hear, buth i have a EJ20T, 4wd gearbox, axels and diff from a legacy turbo. this engine goes into my L1 hatchback 4x4 from 1982.
what diff should i take, the diff from the L1 hatchback or from the legacy turbo.
iff i take the diff from the legacy, what about the rear axels.

what problems can i aspect with the front axel,s

thanks oldskoolscooby from the netherlands
greets marcel en monique :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Fitting EJ motors to MY & L series models”