Amazing water crossing.

Club chat only please.
Subacat

Amazing water crossing.

Post by Subacat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Anyone seen this yet? Very impressive. Cheers. Oh, and Happy New Year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catalan2009/6571618471/

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:03 am

Impressive or stupid?
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

niterida
General Member

Post by niterida » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:11 am

I like the way the 2 guys in the back pop their heads up half way across as if to say "WTF is this driver doing !!"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:37 am

fire truck, Kinda made for tuff terrain. Maybe the driver knew what he was doing or got really lucky. From the vid it looks like the water was quite still. Good thing it wasn't a running river..
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:08 am

I watched this a couple of times trying to see the snorkle.
Noticed it on the drivers side behind the driver on the back of the cab. It must have just been out of the water. I wonder how the guys inside would have gotten out if it had stopped 1/2 way across. I agree the 2 in the back stood up with WTF in their minds but also if they would have stayed sitting down they would have gone under. I like the way the siren was going at the start, stopped (as it went under ?) and started again.

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:17 am

that is just stupid, i bet the driver will get his arse kicked. I guarantee he didnt know what he was doing.

wonder how many dollars worth of equipment he wrecked. BUT if they saved a life then it wasnt so stupid.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

revmax

Post by revmax » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:57 am

Not stupid. They would have training for that.
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:12 am

revmax wrote:Not stupid. They would have training for that.
and the training probably stipulated not to attempt such a water crossing.
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:52 am

Not a smart thing to do, could've wrecked everything on board, but if it saved lives I for one would say well done you did a great job out there today.

I would say in this case time was of the essence and they had no choice.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:13 pm

I love how he turns on the wipers with the water nearly covering the windscreen haha, as if he thinks that's gonna clear it :rolleyes:

Did anyone else think he went way too fast at the start?
niterida wrote:I like the way the 2 guys in the back pop their heads up half way across as if to say "WTF is this driver doing !!"
Haha yeah, & to stop their bums from getting wet :mrgreen:
Cliff R wrote:I watched this a couple of times trying to see the snorkle.
Noticed it on the drivers side behind the driver on the back of the cab. It must have just been out of the water. I wonder how the guys inside would have gotten out if it had stopped 1/2 way across. I agree the 2 in the back stood up with WTF in their minds but also if they would have stayed sitting down they would have gone under. I like the way the siren was going at the start, stopped (as it went under ?) and started again.
Oh good pick! Amazed the truck let alone the siren still kept going lol ;)
Alex wrote:and the training probably stipulated not to attempt such a water crossing.
Yep I'm certain it did!

He may have had a gentle word in the ear only cos I think it was them that saved a woman & her daughter from a car that had stalled with water flowing over the windscreen. Considering the flash floods we had its amazing no-one drowned.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:31 pm

nachaluva wrote:I love how he turns on the wipers with the water nearly covering the windscreen haha, as if he thinks that's gonna clear it :rolleyes:

yeah I must admit I had a bit of a giggle at the wipers ... might be the sensor wipers :)
nachaluva wrote: Did anyone else think he went way too fast at the start?
I actually downloaded this video (flashget and the flashgot link grabber) and have watched it a few times now. As for going too fast I'm pretty sure he came up on it at speed and had no choice. it was either stop and stall or give it some more and hope it came out the other side.

been there and done that on the Bears track, the puddle was way deeper than it looked but I made it.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Bungers

Post by Bungers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:32 pm

Whats the snorkel there for if he isnt meant to cross water like that. Its an emergency vehicle.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:43 am

Those trucks are extremely capable, it's not often you see them being used like that though.

I think they tried to gauge the water level off something they shouldnt have, and subsequently had to keep going (only option). some luck involved.

driver training would not cover this, in fact it would be told to avoid this situation (i.e do I NEED to go through this?). perhaps only in extreme circumstances, if lives were saved etc.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:50 pm

when in the training it would have been said not to cross the flood! you don't know whats underneath a flooded road. and the cfa don't want there workers and volunteers killing them selves just because they cant be bothered finding a alternative route.

but other then that the truck did amazing!! the snorkel wouldnt of been much further out of the water!

alang

Post by alang » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:53 pm

great job getting across the other thing you got to watch for with the new trucks is not getting to close to the fires, the plastic starts melting. we had one up here mirror cases warped and snorkel as well

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 pm

Well I can't vouch for the Victorian CFA but in the NSW RFS firefighter safety is the No 1 priority . Four lives in that Isuzu and had it hit something submerged and rolled over it would have ended differently . Judging by the water pouring out of the rear crew area those two stood up to find out what the hell was going on .
I remember once driving a , no not giving game away , truck through water deep enough that the headlights went under in the dark and belting rain . It was still water over a flooded road but not quite that deep . Just a bit disturbing in the dark .

Ah , look again in full image size and note the fella in the nearside of the cab with his door cracked open to let the water out of the cab towards the end .

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:35 am

discopotato03 wrote:note the fella in the nearside of the cab with his door cracked open to let the water out of the cab towards the end .
I'm sure the maintenance guys would've had a few choice words bout their workmates lol :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:11 am

I don't know what everyone's going on about, the were just doing some research!!!

Neat trick though, I'm sure there wouldn't have been any damage to the road surface, it's not like the water was actually moving - and the water didn't get anywhere near the snorkel, the bow wave would have had the water level drop well below the air intake!

Good times and good on them! If it was in a swollen river without a solid surface under it like in this situation I'm sure they wouldn't have been even considering it!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:19 pm

El_Freddo wrote:I don't know what everyone's going on about, the were just doing some research!!!
Haha, we like doing research :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Club chat”