Glasshouse Mountains 29th January

Goldrush

Post by Goldrush » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 pm

Do you really think it's wise to head to Glasshouse after all this rain? A few of the other forums are talking about this trip and the potential for vehicle damage and personal injury on the slippery tracks. There is also a lot of concern about the track damage that is sure to result from driving the tracks after so much rain. This is one of the reasons that tracks are closed off to 4wd's. It might be better to let the tracks dry out before you drive them and then there will be minimal impact on them.

Just my two cents.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:05 am

i've seen (on another forum) that people have been there nearly everyday since last thursday, the pictures do look muddy with a few water crossings. but isnt that challanging 4x4ing?

leaving my place soon. see you guys up there

Goldrush

Post by Goldrush » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:22 am

Green_eyed_liberty wrote:i've seen (on another forum) that people have been there nearly everyday since last thursday, the pictures do look muddy with a few water crossings. but isnt that challanging 4x4ing?

leaving my place soon. see you guys up there
"Someone else did it first." What a great excuse. Has that worked for you since pre school?

Challenging 4x4'ing is not about destroying the tracks. This is what gets tracks closed. Glasshouse is one of the last places left to wheel. Almost all the tracks at Mt Mee are closed. When Glasshouse is closed too then where are we going to go?

Queensland has had a lot less track closures than the southern states but it seems that we are catching up just lately and most of the closures are due to damage caused by people driving the tracks when they are too wet and damaging them beyond repair. It is simply staggering to find a registered club that condones this behaviour. :confused::confused::confused:

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Although i do agree with you goldrush, the club generaly isnt one to rip up tracks, now we all know how capable the subarus are and arent off road and most of the hard stuff that gets ripped up by the big boys we cant do anyway!!

so how did you go today boys??

bryan
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Pure Yobbo

Post by Pure Yobbo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:02 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:Although i do agree with you goldrush, the club generally isn't one to rip up tracks, now we all know how capable the Subaru's are and aren't off road and most of the hard stuff that gets ripped up by the big boys we cant do anyway!!

so how did you go today boys??

Bryan
Sorry to HiJack the forum Brain, but the real problem is the attitude that everyone else is heading out there why shouldn't I. There is a facebook group dirty down under is SEQ who decided to advertise a run because a club (this club) was heading out there.
From my understanding this club is a responsible family orientated 4wd club even though not affiliated with 4wd Qld.

A Lot of us 4wder's in the community campaign to keep tracks open for everyone to use, promote the tread lightly message and pick up cowboys rubbish while we are on our own trips. I'm sure the Subaru club has similar values which is why we were shocked to know the club didn't cancel there trips due to the weather like most clubs / organisations or groups.
Advertising and running this trip probably added another 50 cars to the tracks out there by the time the word spread around that a club was heading out.

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Cheers

rubisubi

Post by rubisubi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:23 am

For the record the glass house trip was cancelled. Also Goldrush, where does it say that the club condones this behaviour, just because it's wet you've automatically assumed we've gone out there to rape and pillage. And you have the audacity to accuse someone of preschool thinking? Oh please pffft.

Goldrush

Post by Goldrush » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:07 pm

rubisubi wrote:For the record the glass house trip was cancelled. Also Goldrush, where does it say that the club condones this behaviour, just because it's wet you've automatically assumed we've gone out there to rape and pillage. And you have the audacity to accuse someone of preschool thinking? Oh please pffft.
Nowhere in this thread does it say the trip was cancelled. If it was then the mods should have been all over this thread. And as for the "assumption" have you even read the responses on here? "Looks like a good boggy trip." "I'll bring the oars." And the Pre school thinking was refering to the attitude that others were doing it so why can't we? I'm not at all sorry if I offended you because the only people who would take offence to my comments are the people who are committing these irresponsible acts of vandalism. When all the tracks are closed down it will be people like you who are to blame.

My apologies to the responsible members of this forum for my rant but we cannot allow this behaviour to continue. There is talk on other forums that has damaged the reputation of this club.

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:27 pm

Goldrush wrote:Nowhere in this thread does it say the trip was cancelled. If it was then the mods should have been all over this thread. And as for the "assumption" have you even read the responses on here? "Looks like a good boggy trip." "I'll bring the oars." And the Pre school thinking was refering to the attitude that others were doing it so why can't we? I'm not at all sorry if I offended you because the only people who would take offence to my comments are the people who are committing these irresponsible acts of vandalism. When all the tracks are closed down it will be people like you who are to blame.

My apologies to the responsible members of this forum for my rant but we cannot allow this behaviour to continue. There is talk on other forums that has damaged the reputation of this club.
please link us to the slander on 'other' forums?

also any damage (if any) was extremely minute, it was a nice drive along hard packed tracks

Green_eyed_liberty

Post by Green_eyed_liberty » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Copied from there facebook.

and by a look at there pictures.. you are seriously preaching to the wrong crowd!!

Running over a tree??
I heard from a mate at work here at tjm the Subaru club is going to glasshouse on Sunday
Now they would be fun to watch! hehehe
Frouble is the Suby's wouls have the tracks blocked cause they would be bogged everywhere! Spose we could charge em $50.00 a pullout... We would ALL make a killing! hehehehe
if the suby s are out that mean the tracks would be easier wouldnt it.. after all they de fill in the deep holes so we could drive over them

yarney
General Member

Post by yarney » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:57 pm

While I agree with Goldrush to a point, our club is very responsible on our trips.
We always have an alternative plan in this type of weather.
A decision is made by the club at the meeting point as to whether to continue the advertised trip. The decision was made to change the trip that morning leaving no time to post it on the forum.
We as a club make decisions for OUR club no one else.
We do not condone the actions of the group that posted photos on facebook.
We are proud of our vehicles and enjoy testing them on the tracks but at no stage would we "vandalise" the areas that give us so much enjoyment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

grewi

Post by grewi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:34 pm

yarney wrote:While I agree with Goldrush to a point, our club is very responsible on our trips.
We always have an alternative plan in this type of weather.
A decision is made by the club at the meeting point as to whether to continue the advertised trip. The decision was made to change the trip that morning leaving no time to post it on the forum.
We as a club make decisions for OUR club no one else.
We do not condone the actions of the group that posted photos on facebook.
We are proud of our vehicles and enjoy testing them on the tracks but at no stage would we "vandalise" the areas that give us so much enjoyment.
Well said, I couldnt agree more.
2010 Forester X
2005 Forester XT
1982 4x4 Coupe

Goldrush

Post by Goldrush » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:57 am

I am glad to hear that you are serious about preserving the tracks. However the posts in this thread do not read that way.
I do not hold you responsible for the actions of the "Dirty Down Under 4x4 Club." From their photos I think that they should all be held accountable for their actions.
My concern with this club was perhaps unwarranted but I think understandable when I read posts like
Looking good for a nice boggy trip can't wait
Have fun guys...you may need more than muddies and winches after all the rainfall we had in the last few days. A tractor would come in handy. and
Yes think it will be interesting to say the least lol. Might bring oars incase

I may seem over zealous but I have seen too many track closures caused by the likes of these Facebook clowns and see it as a threat to my hobby. I applaud your decision not to drive the tracks in their sodden state and hope that we can all spread the "Tread Lightly" message together. Perhaps some members should think twice about what they post to avoid any future misunderstandings. A lot of do-gooders and greenies browse these sites for information that they use against us.
Cheers
Goldrush.

chilli

Post by chilli » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:30 pm

Goldrush...I agree with your sentiments and share your concern with comments made by myself and others. However members are entitle to their opinion and will continue to post anything that deemed acceptable within the rein of this forum. However in an effort to advance your cause and to justify your rant (which again you're entitled to), you've taken my comments out of context. My comments were tongue in cheek and meant to be humorous. In future if you've any concerns regarding comments posted in this or other forums, please take up with the individual by PM...a feature you would be very familiar with in your role as a moderator on "4x4 Earth".

Also can you also apply the same zealousness to moderate the comments posted on 4x4 Earth. Comments made by some regarding fitting larger illegal aggressive mud tyres can and will cause more damage to the tracks than would a subaru on significantly smaller size tires. Lastly let's not forget that a lot of do-gooders and greenies browse POPULAR 4x4 EARTH sites for information that they COULD use against us.

In closing, I would not be upset with you if you ask me to leave 4x4 Earth (group) as a result of my comments above.

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:02 am

if the suby s are out that mean the tracks would be easier wouldnt it.. after all they de fill in the deep holes so we could drive over them
Haha at this quote :-D

Technically it's not illegal to drive in the conditions pictured, so long as the tracks are not closed/management only tracks.

Having said that, is it responsible, probably not? My only concern is fire access in the dry season if the tracks are stuffed. BUT, if the tracks aren't closed in boggy times noone is breaking the law and nothing can be done about it.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Return to “What's on”