My Touring Wagon EJ25 build, Part 2

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:30 pm

i used to have a cannon on my rodeo didnt like it so after cutting and modifying i ended up with a half metre long 6inch tip
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I bought one of these for the WRX as the rest of the system is 3", cheap as chips, solid and beautifully made, still undecided if I want the noise though as it's VERY straight through though it has hot dog style baffles in each tube and tucks out the way nicely with the turn up's. I realise the entry pipe would need to be made larger but that's no biggy.
http://www.crazysales.com.au/stainless- ... r-tip.html
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Looks awesome.. makes me wanna be at home and get mine going :(
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:39 pm

hey guys,

drove the car to the shops and when i came back to go again car didn't have power at all. Anyway figured that it wa a loose wire fuse that was causing this. Once that was fixed the car started but as soon as i accelerate and the revs started to increase it would stall or want to stall and have no power. I tried to look for vacuum leaks or anything that i could think of but nothing. Had to limp back home with minimal revs. connected the black plugs up and only got code 38.

Not sure what happened, so i removed the negative battery cable and will leave it over night to see if its better tomorrow. Ideas??
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Whats Code 38 for your EJ25?

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 pm

code 38 = Engine Torque Control (SVX)

which is to do with the auto transmission

are you sure you read it right?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 pm

yeah but that was there since we got it running. Not sure why it stalling as soon as i rev it. Even at idle. Rev it and it dies or wants to die.

Could it be the fuel pump? could it be ECU related? AFM?
Anyone got a fuel pressure tester? and OBDII code reader a spare AFM for 01 EJ25???
Hummmmm:( and worst thing, Dr Urabus just left:(

Shame it was running really good:(
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:54 pm

So something has happened between when it was running fine and now that doesn't throw a code.. If the AFM was faulty it would throw a code (???) It wouldnt be a vacuum leak cos you would hear it and it would be noticable at idle too..
So yeah fuel pressure test would be your best bet I reckon.
But im just thinking out loud..

Sorry i dont have a fuel pressure tester and work doesnt like lending out workshop tools lol

mud_king91

Post by mud_king91 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:47 am

if that code means anything it could be your torque converter locking up prematurely if subaru,s have converter lock up
GROWING OLD IS COMPULSORY... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

WTB
BRUMBY, FORESTER prefferably GT

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Ok Guys,

So this morning i hooked back the negative terminal and started the car. Let it idle until it got to operating temp and took it for a drive and it ran fine, except with that check engine light.

So what could this mean?

Hopefully Dave will be able to sort out that check engine light for me.
Also if anyone has info or can plz help with finding 01 ej25 ECU loom diagrams that would help as per
showthread.php?t=18410&page=4&highlight=ej25+wiring

MTB92

Post by MTB92 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Wagonman wrote:So something has happened between when it was running fine and now that doesn't throw a code.. If the AFM was faulty it would throw a code (???) It wouldnt be a vacuum leak cos you would hear it and it would be noticable at idle too..
So yeah fuel pressure test would be your best bet I reckon.
But im just thinking out loud..

Sorry i dont have a fuel pressure tester and work doesnt like lending out workshop tools lol
if the only thing you have changed is your lights, sounds stupid, but is that doing something funky with the electrics?
as in drive to the shops with the lights off - no worries. put the lights on for the trip home and it doesn't run well. leave it over night and drive with the lights off and it is fine again.

probably way off, but worth starting with what you have changed since it worked fine.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:11 pm

na it drove find for 2 nights with the HID and then it died during the day when the lights were off.

After analyzing the fuse i saw that it was burnt, it looks like it was very loose and seem to have been moving on and off thus maybe causing like Dave says 'Maybe the bad connection wasnt connecting properly still so the right voltage wasn't making it to the fuel pump.'

Lets see what it does now that the fuse link is secure:)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah sounds suspiciously like the fuse messing with things. Lets hope it stays fixed!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:33 pm

guyph_01 wrote:na it drove find for 2 nights with the HID and then it died during the day when the lights were off.

After analyzing the fuse i saw that it was burnt, it looks like it was very loose and seem to have been moving on and off thus maybe causing like Dave says 'Maybe the bad connection wasnt connecting properly still so the right voltage wasn't making it to the fuel pump.'

Lets see what it does now that the fuse link is secure:)
Sounds plausible.. keep us up to date :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm back driving the green vortex now as the rejo on the white one has expired and i'm unsure of how reliable the L is. I'll take it for small trips to close by shops and see:)

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:33 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I'm back driving the green vortex now as the rejo on the white one has expired and i'm unsure of how reliable the L is. I'll take it for small trips to close by shops and see:)
Lucky the price on the vortex has keep it from selling so quickly :p hahaha.. just kidding ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:18 pm

lol, upto now its the only car i feel like i could go round OZ in:p

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Well it happened again:( It was running ok since it last happened although it is still hunting. Yesterday it had one major flat spot but then it was ok.

This time before it happened i took off the battery terminals to install a power source for my CB radio. Then i connected the battery back, the car started but as soon drive it and the revs get higher it wants to stall. Similar feeling to a boost cut.

:( I took the terminals off and will leave it over night again. Tomorrow Dave is supposed to work on it. Cross figures:)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 pm

good luck...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:56 pm

Also noticed a Split inner boot on the front CV:( I did a temp fix on it and wrapped it in duck tape lol. At least it will stop the grease from going every where....

Return to “Guyph”