My Touring Wagon EJ25 build, Part 2

purp

Post by purp » Thu May 10, 2012 6:59 pm

Ahhh, I figured the little ones on the bar were indicator-brake-tail.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri May 11, 2012 1:58 am

d_generate wrote:Fixed

I'd be splitting a bit of pipe and using exhaust clamps to hold it in place, or maybe carrying it with you as a stronger fix.
Thanks for fixing my post.. I did forget about those mongrels :evil:

As for the clamp.. just buy off the self pipe clamps
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri May 11, 2012 10:43 pm

guyph_01 wrote: Image
Awesome :cool:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 11, 2012 11:50 pm

guyph_01 wrote: Image
What size pipe diametre did you go with on this? Still a good note?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:51 pm

its 2.25. Its ok. Lost most of the rumble tho:(
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 pm

guyph_01 wrote:its 2.25. Its ok. Lost most of the rumble tho:(
Mine's the same size, and if you've lost some of your rumble you've either got a very quiet muffler now or your exhaust was super noisy beforehand!

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:02 am

Ok my system is the front extractors, a factory Liberty resonator, a hot dog and that new muffler with 2.25 front the extractors back.
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sat May 12, 2012 10:57 am

may not sound as good but looks a lot better! that size should alow the engine to breath well too
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

2nd Hand Yank

Post by 2nd Hand Yank » Wed May 16, 2012 10:53 am

guyph_01 wrote:Some pic when Wagonman and Dann came home for a visit:)

Streuth! :mrgreen:

The last time I saw your car, (January 2012?)
my L Series was nearly the same height as yours
with a fresh set of 185/70R-14's, 2 inch lift and my new King Springs.

AshR

Post by AshR » Wed May 16, 2012 2:01 pm

man that's a good looking wagon, have to admit I do like it better without the cannon too.

from memory if you took the hotdog out you'd get that rumble back in your exhaust as they are a resonator.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Ok,

So Paul is working on my gearbox this week, Due to a missing seal and some clearance issues i'm not 100% sure i'll have it in the car for the weekend. Paul said too easy mate but things never go as planned...

Anyway, the Master at work:)

The clearance issue is with the bigger L series D/R selector touching the crown gear. The solution was to machine off a bit on the selector fork, selector ring and unfortunately some off the crown gear. Paul didn't really want to do this as it meant taking off the harden layer on the gear:( Anyway, If all goes well, The box would hopefully be in the car late Friday avo or maybe even night.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 24, 2012 4:18 pm

There is no issue with shaving the crown wheel; the mating face that the pinion gear engages is not compromised from what I know.

There are many subi's getting around with this mod and no issues. But there is more than one way to skin a cat ;)

Cheers

Bennie

username

Post by username » Mon May 28, 2012 8:51 pm

guyph_01 wrote:Little update.

Ok so this has a much bigger/wider spring that won't fit as it would touch the body of the car. Good thing the spring base isn't welded and can be easily removed.
Unfortunately the spring base for the L series has a slightly smaller diameter than these koni ones. So i went to see my mate at the exhaust shop and we widen the base a little to suit with his pipe bender machine.
So there's no way you could use the standard set up? I just picked up a set of apexi s13 struts that are dampner? adjustable for $100, i probably should have read this more thoroughly

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon May 28, 2012 9:08 pm

El_Freddo wrote:There is no issue with shaving the crown wheel; the mating face that the pinion gear engages is not compromised from what I know.

There are many subi's getting around with this mod and no issues. But there is more than one way to skin a cat ;)

Cheers

Bennie
Well Bennie.. I'm going to say it's done but where do they shave the crown wheel and by how much?

There was even some shaving to the D/R selector hub, which I did to mine but my box was a Gen3 Outback front casings.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Well Bennie.. I'm going to say it's done but where do they shave the crown wheel and by how much?

There was even some shaving to the D/R selector hub, which I did to mine but my box was a Gen3 Outback front casings.
Dunno by how much, I could possibly get some photos, but to try and describe it I'd say the following:

The outer edge of the crown wheel teeth were ground down maybe 3mm (guess) on an angle that didn't cut into the mating face of the crown wheel with the pinion gear. It's just to move the edge of the teeth on the crown wheel out of the way of the L series low range.

Phizinza and PeeJay shaved the selector ring instead of shaving the crown wheel ;)

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 am

On my box I didn't require the shaving to the crown wheel but I feel this is due to using 3.9 or 3.7 ratio diff in it but in Guy's box, I had to shave the D/R selector hub AND the diff crown wheel (4.1 ratio). I removed about 2mm off the crown wheel and about 2.5mm off the hub. At the moment if only clears by about 0.5mm so when bearing start to fail, then the box is going to make some horrible noises.

I used the EJ low range selector fork as no-one was willing to weld tabs on it for the H/L light switch or the dedent ball :( this is the main reason we machined the selector hub.

I will be doing this again for my next project offroader, so maybe I'll be better at it ;)

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 30, 2012 1:11 pm

RSR 555 wrote:On my box I didn't require the shaving to the crown wheel but I feel this is due to using 3.9 or 3.7 ratio diff in it but in Guy's box, I had to shave the D/R selector hub AND the diff crown wheel (4.1 ratio). I removed about 2mm off the crown wheel and about 2.5mm off the hub. At the moment if only clears by about 0.5mm so when bearing start to fail, then the box is going to make some horrible noises.
Yeah it's the diff ratio that determines whether the crown wheel needs to be shaved, not the front cases (a 4.44 CW can fit in the EA casings). I've seen a 4.44 ratio diff shaved for the L series low range - that mod takes a pot load of material off the CW. The fella that did the work said he wasn't really keen on it but it's what his mate wanted - he did give him a stern warning about what could possibly go wrong before proceeding with the work.

So Guyph's gearbox is ready to go or will you shave the CW some more?

Cheers

Bennie

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:55 pm

El_Freddo wrote:So Guyph's gearbox is ready to go or will you shave the CW some more?
Last I saw of it, it was screeming over the top of a sand dune last weekend with the built gearbox in place :)

Guyph is sad because he now can hear all the other noises the car makes :(

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:58 am

RSR 555 wrote:Last I saw of it, it was screeming over the top of a sand dune last weekend with the built gearbox in place :)

Guyph is sad because he now can hear all the other noises the car makes :(
Lol true, the constant rattle isn't there anymore, but all the squiks and worn buses noise are now heard easily.

The new box is great, I love the 4.11, it give the car this great acceleration feel in all the gears over the 3.7:p

Only thing is there still a short rattle:( that comes when i move from one gear to the other or engine brake at 100kph. Paul suspects it the bearing in the rear transfer case that is causing this, the bearing that came in my DCCD transfer case:( sucks!!!!

Still haven't connected the DCCD yet as i fear to do it wrong.

Low range was useless up the sand dune, It was too Low, lol. Did the whole day in high range. I guess the combination of the 4.11 and the L series low range will come handy in muddy or really soft sand situation. I'm happy that ive got it tho:)

And finally, The rear Lsd works great. Got to test it. Its not a locker and does slip a bit but it gives the car just the little extra push it needs to get the other wheel to grip:)

Overall i'm really happy with it..., Thx Paul..

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Thu May 31, 2012 1:46 am

I'm pretty sure seagull only shaved a corner off my 1.44 crown wheel but I guess the 1.19 gears are a much different diameter.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

Return to “Guyph”