My Touring Wagon EJ25 build, Part 2

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Very nice Guyph. Any ideas how much the bar weighs?

Really does look professional. Awesome :mrgreen:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Davidov

Post by Davidov » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 pm

That looks fantastic Guy! Awesome job very professional.
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:21 pm

Thx Guys, Didn't think of weighing it but frack that this has some weight to it:( Will get worst with the two arms, wheels or wheel and jerry can....
Don't really want to get it out to weight it now but ill weight up the arms tyres and jerry can:)
The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:25 pm

P.s..., See Paul, people like my full metal rear bumper after all :p Ohhh and even the quad lights :twisted:hehehehe
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:44 am

Started on the rear arms:)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:00 pm

Looking very good there guyph!

Where'd you get that L AWD badge from? And remind me of what AWD gearbox you're running - the lockable centre diff unit? And if so what mods?? :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:47 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Looking very good there guyph!

Where'd you get that L AWD badge from? And remind me of what AWD gearbox you're running - the lockable centre diff unit? And if so what mods?? :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
:D:cool:hehe, Its an American market badge, i think its off a Legacy AWD. Got it on ebay. Shame it will be covered by the wheel, maybe not if i put the jerry can:)

At the moment i'm running a Standard AWD D/r box off a 92 liberty with a main bearing noisy as hell and will soon die.

The plan is to make a 4.11 AWD D/r box off a 92 liberty but with the L series lower range and a DCCD system. It was supposed to be finished by now but Paul has been really busy and didn't have time to put it together:(

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:48 pm

Ok so got some little LED lights off ebay. A little disappointed as in the picture they had colored lenses but they all came with clear lenses. Talked to the supplier and i'll get my money back. Anyway so i still installed them as might as well try. What do you think? Looks wired that they are all clear.....

Still working on the arms...

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:52 pm

i think the clear looks good. that canon however ;)
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

woody.t

Post by woody.t » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:40 pm

where did you get the welding done i'd like to have a hayman reese type trailer attachment on my car to be able to carry the wakeboard-winch on it but wouldn't trust my welding to carry it , probably fall off and take out the front of a bmw or something ahah
"the wisest of men followed the stars"
<a href="http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthrea ... 200">CHLOE THE LIBERTY</a>
to do list:
-3" strut, 2" body lift uni mid-year break

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:21 am

Personally I'd mount the extra tail lights higher so if you ever back into something that's the same height as your bumper it's the bumper that takes the beating and not your cheap as lights (cos they were ultimately free right?).

Have you thought about mounting them on the swing arms? I've got a set to go on mine that will be done before I drive her again. Can't wait! Also you'll need to relocate your number plate which also means you'll need an illumination light ;)

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:18 pm

Ok got some more welding done.

Unfortunately the LH arm moved when welded and is slightly off:(
Got a bit dark so pics aren't great.

Here is what the wheel will look like on.

I hope your happy Bennie, The wheel is now on the LH side over the exhaust and away from traffic:p also i welded to nuts on the other arm so i can switch between a wheel and the jerry can.

I had a few 5stud hubs lying around and knocked apart. Will just weld them to the arms and its done:) might drill one stud in each so i can put a little gay padlock..... Need to buy some reflector strips and a number plate light and a lock for the arms.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:54 pm

guyph_01 wrote:I hope your happy Bennie, The wheel is now on the LH side over the exhaust and away from traffic:p
I wasn't saying you SHOULD do it this way, I was stating that these were the reasons for it being done this way...

Really, I hope YOU'RE happy with it - it's your subi after all!

Looking good though!

Cheers

Bennie

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Haha, yeah i know. i'm just pulling your rope..., I did put a little smiley face after the line:) Yeah i'm happy and thx for the input, I did make sense thats why i changed it, if i wasn't happy id keep it the way it was:)

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Some more late avo pics:)

Finally got the arms all welded up and bolted to the car. Dammm they are strong. I hold the top of the arm and shake the whole car and no clicnk clack or whatever. its like the arms are welded to the body.

Had to make some stops for the arms.
Hummmm, Might need some more recovery points i think.... Ohhhh and don't worry. the orange will turn red soon.
Now just need to go to clarks rubber and get the plastic ends:)

OR, since my birthday is coming soon, someone could give me one of these to hang at the back:D

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Looking good there mate!
guyph_01 wrote:Image
How does this go holding the arms closed, does it move a lot on the clamp's spring? I would have thought that you need to clamp it to the bar so that it doesn't move - once you add weight you might find it could move a little bit, but if you're happy with it then stick with it ;)
guyph_01 wrote:OR, since my birthday is coming soon, someone could give me one of these to hang at the back:D
Really?! DON'T DO IT!!!! It's tacky and Alex has a pretty good term for this - The South Park fellas coined it first...

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Cheers

Bennie

Pav

Post by Pav » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Nice, this has had some upgrades since I last remember it. Would love to see this in action.

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:08 pm

Little update.

So at the moment my car sits at a slight bit of a angle due mainly to the really high front raised outback springs but also due to the added weight of the rear bar, sub, roof basket.

So before i finish the bar and fit the spare wheel and jerry can i really needed to sort out the rear suspension height. I didn't really want the same mistake of getting rock hard springs, over tensioned on the back...
Also didn't want to fit something that would fail like the last time i went 4wding. For this i think like Paul pointed out, The reason the spring base fail was because there was no bump stops. I'm not talking about the little bump stops on the shocks, im talking about the big round bump stops that are bolted to the car. I should have lowered it too since i now have about 2-3inch lift. So this time i'll get this done to prevent the arm to slam up in the wheel arch pass the shock compression point leading to the springs base failing. LOL lucky i got a warranty on it and got a new replacement for free. never mention the car was lifted:p

Ok so back to the rear shocks. This is what i'm going with. They are rear after market shocks for the Silvia.

Ok so this has a much bigger/wider spring that won't fit as it would touch the body of the car. Good thing the spring base isn't welded and can be easily removed.
Unfortunately the spring base for the L series has a slightly smaller diameter than these koni ones. So i went to see my mate at the exhaust shop and we widen the base a little to suit with his pipe bender machine.

The other thing is that the shaft is about 15mm shorter and my civic springs look to be a bit longer. I didn't really want to do the same i did with the front springs and i'm luckily getting them swapped with Wagonman's Lowered civic springs. From what we remember they are about 15-20mm shorter. We will hopefully swap the springs over this weekend.

But this is a test to see how it would look like.

Now before you say thats too long etc etc, remember. I've got a 3 inch lift bracket on my std rear L shocks at the moment so i can still play with a 2 or 1inch bracket or even none to find the best hight option:D
Of cause i'll start with the highest first:plol

NOTE:p:I'm using these ones because they have barely been used and they were only $100pr. I'm pretty sure the normal civic springs would work with the screw adjustable ones as the adjustment range is huge. Only thing is they are about $300 for a decent second hand pair...

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Wed May 02, 2012 2:56 am

So glad I started with an Impreza, so much easier.
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed May 02, 2012 12:40 pm

lol

Return to “Guyph”