GC8 Impreza Project "bumpy"

guyph_01

GF5 Impreza Project "bumpy"

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:22 am

Hi guys,

So as some of you guys know i've sold the vortex as well, as much as it was a great idea, it wouldn't have happened for a long long time. I rather finish the L series first properly.

Anyway, So i was on the look out for a replacement daily driver. Wasn't sure if i was staying in the Subaru family as i was considering a little swift, then a sierra, even a Lada but then got lucky and found an Impreza....

Was really happy as it a familiar stuff to me:) It's rejo'd, drives well for 280k's. Has a few dents on one side, Leaks oil a bit and has a slightly noisy gbox.

Its a 94 AWD, Single range, Manual wagon. Has a ej18 motor. Only crap thing is got manual windows, no central locking, no elec mirrors, no cruise etc:(

This is how i got it three days ago:)

The plan was to lift it and bring it out with us at two rocks on it first off-road trip(mind you i found mud and sand under it so its been off-road before:)) But i wasn't able to find another driver to drive if as i'll be taking my L series.

Big thx to Paul for the help those past two days using his hoist and springs compressor. Ohhh and yes bumpy because at first i tired fitting the raised H6 springs Like i did in my L in there and the car turned out to bounce way too my lol. Yes yes, as Paul said, "U'll never learn!!!!" LOL

On the hoist working till 9pm (thx Paul and Jason)

The project, EJ22 --->>> EJ25 Quad CAM:D touring wagon
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:24 am

Top is the Outback bracket compared to the bottom Impreza one.

So far I've changed the oil, replaced the plugs, new leads, new air filter, fuel filter looked new, brake parts on the front are like new also and thats about it.

Anyway this is what she looks like now With front and rear Outback shocks and the lower arm bracket, Front STD forester king springs, Rear STD Liberty wagon springs (using what i had laying around to save cost:)) and 15 inch forester steal rims spray painted black.

Thx for the much better looking grill Paul:)

Lol, Really looks like a 4wdrive abused car from this side...
Thinking of going on holidays on a little paradise island, Check out http://www.dodolidays.com

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:42 am

Maybe at a later stage i was thinking of painting it like the newer impreza's or Outback's. Something like this

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sat May 19, 2012 8:39 am

that looks great!
will be a good daily and good offroad bus. what tires are you running on the rims?
i love the 4wd sticker on the side;)
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 19, 2012 11:44 am

guyph_01 wrote:Its a 94 AWD, Single range, Manual wagon. Has a ej18 motor. Only crap thing is got manual windows, no central locking, no elec mirrors, no cruise etc:(
Single range: bummer
EJ18: bummer
Manual windows, no central locking, no elec mirrors, no cruise: bummer - but you'll get used to this.

So the future plans I give you for this good looking little impreza wagon:

Ej22 - supercharged??
Dual range box (foz box if you can find one in good condition)
After market cruise. I can highly recommend the AP60 cruise control. Easy to install, easy to use. Brilliant!

Personally I like the original look of the vehicle, but if you want to have a crack at it go for it - maybe even do the US camo paint job, urban camo or something completely left field :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sat May 19, 2012 5:12 pm

yep i would personally leave the standard color
2008 zook jimny -sold!

JPM

Post by JPM » Sat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Good to see the 'lifted Impreza Disease' is spreading.

Soon you'll all be infected and they will be the norm! BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH (manic evil laugh).

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this Guy, seeing what engine, gearbox, and diffs you end up with. My prediction is that this will become the main project and the venerable old L will go to the back burner.

Regards

Jayd

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:19 pm

Lol, Really looks like a 4wdrive abused car from this side...

Yes it sure does look like a Subie that will still have a long love afair with the bush and beach.
I'll be keeping my eye s open for the next bit of tinkering you'l be doing to it eheheh.
Regards
Hylton:cool:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 19, 2012 7:47 pm

JPM wrote:My prediction is that this will become the main project and the venerable old L will go to the back burner.
What's with the "venerable" old L about??

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

JPM

Post by JPM » Sat May 19, 2012 11:12 pm

El_Freddo wrote:What's with the "venerable" old L about??
Said with the greatest reverence and respect, considering the many years of toil and the great many miles beasts of this nature have endured...

:p

Jayd

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:23 pm

El_Freddo wrote:What's with the "venerable" old L about??

Cheers

Bennie
He is talking about My Grey L. No WAY. That thing is a monster. After the trip today I was SO pleased with my L. Didn't get stuck on the beach where big hilux's and "THE X5" got stuck. Went up all the dunes with virtually no run up. Everyone else needed about 10-20meter run up. Did struggle and fail up big dunes with huge put holes that only big articulated, diff lock Patrol or cruiser can go up. Really happy with it. Can't wait for the new Box that should go in this coming week:p

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:24 pm

Ok back to the Impreza.
At first she wasn't gonna come with us today as i didn't find a spare driver, until when we left and this happened to my mates(Damien) Lifted gen1 lib.

The Timing belt literally disintegrated!!!! The Whats left of it, 20cm part of the belt that came out. This belt must have seen 200k's or more.
Hehe, I was So happy:D, That meant my Impreza was gonna come...

We were so amazed. Not bad for the little Impreza with gear and three guys inside. Well it didn't really start well. The first smallish dune my mate brunt the clutch a bit due to riding the clutch and not knowing how to drive in the sand. So after a quick lesson she performed very well:) Pretty good for a single range 1.8 Impreza.

Lol A few push marks to help it on the tuff area's

Hummmm, Nah, I may modify it slowly but nothing crazy. Ultimately, Maybe if i can find a cheap nudge bar, roo or bullbar, some spotties, a roof basket(bird cage), a bash plate, maybe a rear wheel carrier as accessories. Maybe drop the spare Foz gearbox that i've got in the shed if i don't sell it and maybe just replace a Ej20 N/A long motor and bolt back the original manifold on it so i don't have to much around with the wiring. It is going to be the daily driver so i want to keep a smallish engine for economy. The L ej25 running on 98 does drink and cost a bit to drive as a daily..

Might be going out to play again next weekend:)

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Sat May 19, 2012 11:53 pm

olddog642

Post by olddog642 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:12 am

Well the little Imprezza sound good and looked as though it handled the dune in the vid very well.
Great stuff Guy
Regards Hylton

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:30 am

not bad for a 1.8 single range. is in need of the 2.0 and the dual range. sounds like a bee at the bottom of the dune ;)
2008 zook jimny -sold!

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun May 20, 2012 6:41 pm

I think the best thing was NOT listening to Paul and letting the tyres down to about 10lb;)
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Must be the time for impreza's . We just got one almost the same . But little different ending though. This one is going to be a on road car. Also the one we have is going two tone as well.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:41 pm

Not much happened since the last trip, Just used the car as a daily.
Only detail i got some stickers on it:)

gx_rex

Post by gx_rex » Thu May 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Looks good guy.

Btw a GC8 is a Impreza sedan with a 2.0, yours will be a GF5

guyph_01

Post by guyph_01 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:19 am

gx_rex wrote:Looks good guy.

Btw a GC8 is a Impreza sedan with a 2.0, yours will be a GF5
Cool thx. Didn't know, i thought all of those shape were called gc8. Can't change the title now unless one of the mod does change it from gc8 to gf5:)

Return to “Guyph”