Bantum's '85 Brumby ...

Collection of automotive design / construct projects by Bantum ...
Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 pm

Yeah - I'm sure this one was a mod taken from another unit ...
I was pondering what I could use it for - Will put that on my 'to do' list ... :)

P.S. - The blank cover next to A/C switch, any body know what went there ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm

think it may have been for AC in LHD market?

Both my Brumbys have been blank in the rear demister button position

Post by 60766244 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Mine doesn't have that button... Devo...

Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:50 pm

Sunnie the Brumby didn't have one until I changed the dash for a better one. Here's the original dash:

Also, if your heater controls light up someone's been playing as I believe the factory brumby setup has these lights disconnected due to the distractive reflection that occurs in the review mirror from the reflection of the controls on the rear window - something I noted after I swapped the dash over. If that's not the case dis-regard this info! But it makes sense to me...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Post by 60766244 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 pm

El_Freddo wrote: ...
Also, if your heater controls light up someone's been playing as I believe the factory brumby setup has these lights disconnected due to the distractive reflection that occurs in the review mirror from the reflection of the controls on the rear window - something I noted after I swapped the dash over.
All mine light up fully. A nice amber glow. I wouldn't say distracting, or reflective, I'd say warm.

Maybe they were rigged up by Mick when he did the conversion and was under there, or maybe it came like that. Not sure... :)
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Bantum
General Member

Head Unit ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Mine didn't have any lights in them, until I swaped 'em over that is - works a charm ... :)

Another thought had crossed my mind - is that when the AC was installed, that demister could been added then ...

Here is another later shot of the dash with a proposed mockup of head unit ...

This is a far as I got though with updating the sound system ... :(

Post by 60766244 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Bantum wrote:Mine didn't have any lights in them, until I swaped 'em over that is - works a charm ... :)

Another thought had crossed my mind - is that when the AC was installed, that demister could been added then ...

Here is another later shot of the dash with a proposed mockup of head unit ...

This is a far as I got though with updating the sound system ... :(
Looks awesome!

Carpeting or Painting the board?

Bantum
General Member

Trims ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:06 pm

60766244 wrote: ... Carpeting or Painting the board ? ...
The back 'board' in last photo is only carboard - The aim is to do it in brushed aluminium, similar to what I've done with the Wagon ... :cool:

The side's of Pod are to be covered in vinyl, simlar to door trims. As for the actual head unit, it may end up being a tablet PC of some kind - I haven't got round to that bit yet ... :(

I'm also looking to do a few pages on the Sound System outling the process, similar to how I did the LED's - When I get round to it ... ;)

To much to do & not enough do$h ... :rolleyes:

Ciao, Bantum ...

My mistake

Post by 60766244 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:09 am

Ahh, I assumed particle board or something...

Keen to see how it all turns out... ;)

(On a sidenote, awesome work in the wiki)

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:22 am

My Brumby fan dial lights up, think the bright intenisfies with the speed too!

MY's other than Brumbies got lights behind the wiper and lights labels in the pod just below each switch

84superoo

Post by 84superoo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 am

Bantum wrote:The back 'board' in last photo is only carboard - The aim is to do it in brushed aluminium, similar to what I've done with the Wagon ... :cool:

The side's of Pod are to be covered in vinyl, simlar to door trims. As for the actual head unit, it may end up being a tablet PC of some kind - I haven't got round to that bit yet ... :(

I'm also looking to do a few pages on the Sound System outling the process, similar to how I did the LED's - When I get round to it ... ;)

To much to do & not enough do$h ... :rolleyes:

Ciao, Bantum ...
mighty car mods put a i pad in an outback if you want to try and fit a i pad mini or i pod touch in there :rolleyes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl ... 4&index=20

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm

I'll be putting a tablet in my wagon when I get around to it; no problems with depth and you have your own sat-nav, internet, movies etc in car :) Only problem is I think you need an amp so you can run the audio out of the tablet into the car stereo. Looked at a few tablets and I think any 7-8 inch tablet will be right for Brumbies/MY's.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

purp

Post by purp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Silverbullet wrote:I'll be putting a tablet in my wagon when I get around to it; no problems with depth and you have your own sat-nav, internet, movies etc in car :) Only problem is I think you need an amp so you can run the audio out of the tablet into the car stereo. Looked at a few tablets and I think any 7-8 inch tablet will be right for Brumbies/MY's.
Do any of the tablets on the market come with the ability to plug a GPS aerial in?

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:57 pm

Yeah - I generally don't like anything with an 'i' in front of it ... :) ... ( Subaru's Excepted )

I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S2 with 4G or blue tooth ... I more like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 updated with 4G and 'Jelly Bean' as an option ... ;)

To get GPS working you may need a few add ons ... :)

Not decided yet ...

Bantum
General Member

Update :

Post by Bantum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:24 am

I just did a quick measure check - the 'note 10.1' is way to big to fit at: 262 x 180 mm - Doh ... :(

The max size to fit space would be approx: 190 x 130 mm

The iPAD Mini comes in at: 200 x 135 mm - Hmmm, Close ... :)

I'll keep looking ... ;)

hydrowill

Post by hydrowill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:34 pm

Check out the ASUS nexus 7. Currently integrating one of these into my outback. Pretty cool piece of kit.

555Ron

Post by 555Ron » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:20 pm

The IdeaTab comes in at just 3mm over at 193mm and is way under the 130mm.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/lenovo-launch ... r-just-299

It's got an FM tuner and aerial but I'm not sure if it would be appropriate for a car install. More home work to be done but it might be worth a look.

And this Samsung is the same size as the Lenovo

https://www.samsung.com/in/galaxytab2/spec.html

Bantum
General Member

DIN Mounts ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:05 am

hydrowill wrote:Check out the ASUS nexus 7. Currently integrating one of these into my outback. Pretty cool piece of kit.
Yeah I was also looking at that one, specifications Here ... price is Ok too - about $ 260 ... :)

With dimensions of 198.5 x 120 x 10.45 mm it would need some creative mounting though - hight not a problem, width might be though ... bit tight towards bottom end of panel.

I was going for a standard double DIN (180 x 100 mm panel ) mount so that I can swap it out at any time for future upgrades etc ...

What sort of head unit ( for Amps - etc. ) would you need to run it in a car ?
P.S. - It does have a Mini USB + WIFI ... It could be linked via cable etc ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:20 am

hydrowill wrote:Check out the ASUS nexus 7. Currently integrating one of these into my outback. Pretty cool piece of kit.
I was looking at those too, until I found out they don't have and can never have an FM tuner :( That's all I use my stereo for at the moment! :|
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Sound off ...

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Ok - for more sound system info head over to here :Bantum's Brumby Sound System ...

Return to “Bantum’s Works”