Brumby torsion bar

EA71, EA81 & EA82 Brakes, Wheels & suspension components
auster

Brumby torsion bar

Post by auster » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:19 pm

I ha ve owned my 1987 Brumby for over 10 yrs and inthat time have replaed the rear shocks 3 times.

There has been a loud rattle in the rear end for a long time just like crook shocks. However replacing them has never cured it. Worse, having people jump up and down in the try has not helped me to find the culprit.

About 5 years ago the rear suspension rubber bushes were replaced with nolathane but that didn't fix it either.

The only thing never replaced is what ever bearing surface there is on the end of the torsion bar. So the only thing to do before I go crazy is to inspect the torsion bar and see if I can find the problem.

Can this be done by undoing the bolts on the trailling arm, or is it more comlicated than that?

The factory manual is vague on this and the Gregory's does not seem to cover the torsion bar.

I would be grateful of any insights. I received some great assistance a few years ago when I fitted Leone power steering which transformed the vehicle.

Auster

Bantum
General Member

Re: Brumby torsion bar

Post by Bantum » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:36 am

There's a rubber bushing to outer ends of the torsion bar as far as I know, could be worth a tear down to see if that's worn out.
You'll need to get hold of workshop manual ( in files section ? ) to follow procedures ... ;)

Regards, Bantum ...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:37 am

I've had the torsion bars out of my wagon once years ago. From memory all I did was undo the 3 bolts holding it to the trailing arm and then there are 1 or 2 bolts in the housing tube that clamp onto the rubber bush at the outer ends of the torsion bar housing. Then you *just* have to pull the assembly out of the height adjuster block that is in the middle of the car. I say *just*, they're likely to put up a fight if they're rusted in place and never been moved. Don't bother trying to remove the end plate from the torsion bar itself, might need a hundred tons press to get them off it's not worth the effort.

This is the only pic I can find of mine that shows the area I'm talking about :roll:

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:09 am

If that bush in the outer end of the torsion bar is worn out you might be able to detect some play where the swing arm attaches.

I dare say you’d need to use some leverage to get it to move and expose any lateral movement.

Also check your bump stops are still in place. If theses are missing it’ll be metal on metal contact at full bump.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:54 am

it is called bush outer
Outer shell is about 4mm thick steel tube, with a 3mm thick steel tube inner, and just a little rubber in between

Return to “EA Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tyres”