KYB Shocks

Matt
General Member

KYB Shocks

Post by Matt » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Does anyone know the part number for the adjustable KYB L series shocks please?
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:13 am

From what I've found, KYB only made the adjustable ones for Subaru and they were (not available anymore) only available from Subaru Spare Parts.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:34 am

These were on the rear only werent they ?
I seem to recall my 88 model L series had them but my 92 model L series doesnt.
Were they only on a certain year model of L series ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:30 am

Really only thought they were 85,86 L wagons that got them originally

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:41 am

steptoe wrote:Really only thought they were 85,86 L wagons that got them originally
I've only seen them on 85 and 86 models too. I'm sure others have fitted them to later models but never from factory. Of course the MY series had them on the front too but this thread is talking about L.Series ones.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Mitchhsj

Post by Mitchhsj » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:23 pm

can you get higher springs like from king springs or any similar company for l series, that will go in to stock towers??.. thanks
ahhhrrr the subi will make it!

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Someone may say different but at least from Auto 1 standard height are the only King Springs now available.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:20 pm

To answer the questions yes rears... My bad. King springs are able to make custom height springs, rates, etc. However bear in mind that standard height king springs will be stiffer therefore make the car sit higher then normal height.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Mitchhsj wrote:can you get higher springs like from king springs or any similar company for l series, that will go in to stock towers??.. thanks
For the rear you can't got past the honda front end springs from the early nineties - I've got a set in the back of Ruby Scoo and wished I had have done it much earlier!

About the factory adjustable rear struts for the L series - I thought they were pre '87 too.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:46 pm

Hey El Freddo. I got the Honda springs (std) with the KYB strut (+3" lift) and i found out the hard way that if you dont extend your bump stops they snap the spring seat off. I quickly welded some extensions onto the bump stop plate measuring about 10cm high cos i was going on a trip lol.. TOO HIGH! I ran on bump stops the whole way. Perfect ride height when fully loaded tho ;) Anyway, what did you do with yours?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Wagonman wrote:Anyway, what did you do with yours?
Always drive carefully!

I've knocked one off but I carry a spare (now)!

Next trick I'm looking into is air bagging... We'll see how that goes.

Cheers

Bennie

Wagonman

Post by Wagonman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 pm

Yeah i carry a spare too and im probably just going to cut down the bump stops a bit and see how it goes. When i wrecked one of them i ordered two more. it hurt the hip pocket but at least im covered.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

M0rpH

Post by M0rpH » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:48 am

Any chance one or both you fellas could post some pics or start a thread about this?

The rear spring mod was something i was about to have a crack at, but now i am a little dubious after reading the last 2 posts in this thread.

My head is a little hazy right now but i take it the bump stops is the rubber cone on the shock absorber rod?
Or is the bump stop the rubber mount located between the body and the read suspension arm?

Sorry for partial thread hijack.

EDIT: scrolled down a bit and found showthread.php?t=22646
Now have a slightly better idea, though some pics wouldn't go astray ;)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:59 pm

M0rpH wrote:Any chance one or both you fellas could post some pics or start a thread about this?
Already done here. It's buried in the middle of the thread but that's the one that counts!
M0rpH wrote:The rear spring mod was something i was about to have a crack at, but now i am a little dubious after reading the last 2 posts in this thread.
It's up to you. I love it and have changed my driving style. My spring seat failure was due to a dodgy shock not doing what it should have been doing, this allowed more force to act on the spring seat that eventually knocked it off :(
M0rpH wrote:My head is a little hazy right now but i take it the bump stops is the rubber cone on the shock absorber rod?
Or is the bump stop the rubber mount located between the body and the read suspension arm?
There are both, but wagonman is talking about the rubber mount located between the body and the swing arm.

Happy reading!

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”