Ea82 Disty slaughter house

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Subydoug

Ea82 Disty slaughter house

Post by Subydoug » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:59 am

Hey,

Had a bit of a search around but couldn't find any relevant information on the subject. Old ea82 has been a little bit rough at idle lately and I put it down mostly to needing a few new parts like rotor button, disty cap, leads and plugs. Both my cars need this so I figured Id do them both at the same time but until I get the parts in I might just clean the crud off of the cap and rotor contacts. Opened it up and here's what I found,

can see where the rotor has been rubbing on this sensors plastic cover.

Either something as fallen into the reluctor or the sensor has come loose and moved into it, but I didn't see any damage on the pickups.

Now this one is the most confusing for me, I hope someone can shed some light onto it. I noticed that if I grabbed the rotor and rotated it, it moved upwards on the drive gear. This movement came from here,

SO I filed the reluctor star back into shape, disassembled everything, cleaned and lubed it and put it back together, but I thought Id ask if this is normal?

To me It kind of looks like there's meant to be a ball bearing under the disty shaft as it has a divot in the head and in the end of the shaft.

Any opinions would be grateful.

Regards

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm

Denso 22100AA390 dizzy...mine has about same - 3.175mm freeplay there as you point out
I think mine had those ill fitting rotor button scrape marks. Might have come from an after market button ?
Don't you read warnings - "do not remove" it says on the cover !

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 pm

So that freeplay is normal? really?

Wrong rotor button would explain it. Beats me how someone would push the rotor onto the shaft and fail to notice that its going to fowl the sensors. I have currently spaced it up with an o ring.

Where is this warning your referring to Jonno?

Doug

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:17 pm

PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Yours not the 390 then ? Just had a closer look and the moduley things are different from mine with two plastic covered things inside the dizzy. Mine has DON'T REMOVE in the plastic casting itself. Spaced it with an O-ring - is this gonna force the gears to mesh in a chewable spot instead ?

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:07 pm

Those disty's look like the one in my ea81, which doesnt have the end float.

Though looking at the pics I did notice something and pulled the disty out again to confirm, the shaft actually has a spiral groove going up into the disty body. I believe the 3mm of slack in the shaft is to allow the oil to get into that groove and lube the shaft, Given the direction of rotation the engine will only ever pull down on the shaft so it isnt really a problem but geez...doesnt inspire confidence when you open up the disty and find what I found.

What I should do is swap to an ej coil pack and run batch fire, though preferably with the ej hanging underneath it :D. Seriously though I should swap to batch fire and put it on both cars.

Regards

Doug

Subydoug

Post by Subydoug » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Yeah Jonno, has two plastic thingys inside it. Its all in Japanese though, or been rubbed off.

Becides no sticker is ever going to stop me pulling stuff apart ;).

Doug

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:46 pm

Just been fiddling with an optical dizzy from EA82T part number ending in AA410.

The rotor button I ran on my SeriesOne L Series mpfi EA82T Bosch GH605 measures up same when fitted - just no brass internal bushing or retainer screw to sh!t you. Looks a lot less plastic in the 605, but looks like it will do the job

The brass contact for the caps terminals is same 36mm above a point on the dizy body.

Won't fit the AA390 dist coz it is a Denso from carby ea82 ?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:48 pm

bump

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:04 pm

steptoe wrote:bump
What is the bump for?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Re: Ea82 Disty slaughter house

Post by steptoe » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:16 pm

Probably bumped it for selfish reasons

Return to “Trouble Shooting”