New motor before moving to Adelaide

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
PhilsWagon

New motor before moving to Adelaide

Post by PhilsWagon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi all!

It's been a while so I thought i'd post an update...

I'm moving to Radelaide in the next few months and am really pushing to get my wagon on the road before I go.

I picked up a donor car a few weeks back and stripped it for some parts that I needed and also a few other goodies like a bullbar and uhf and am about to get my hands reconditioned motor to put in. I'm also going to replace the clutch while i'm at it and install a new radiator (maybe a thermo fan too) as well as a few other things it'll need for rego like exhaust and a few suspension bushes.

I then plan to pack it full of my crap, hook up the trailer and start the long drive over.

As i'm running short on time I want to get all the bits for the engine swap together before I start so there is no running around trying to get bits half way through.

So, a couple of questions...

1. I've found two listings for clutch' - 225mm or 200mm flywheel?

2. Thermo fan size? Worth the effort?

3. Exhaust size? 2"? 2.25"? To help it breath a bit better but must be able to pass rego.

4. Anything I should look out for when swapping the engine?

5. Anyone have any experience towing long distance in the L Series? It's not a big trailer, 6x4 Tradies top full of tools. Not sure of the weight but definitely not heavy.

My wagon is an 89 MPFI 5 speed dual range Touring Wagon.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Phil

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:23 pm

only one clutch for the L Series EA82 4WD 225mm

12" Davies Craig will fit, SCA won't. I think it is worth it, but not coming from a towing perspective. Manual switches a bonus and easy enough to do.

Let it breathe too much and you could lose torque. Bigger costs more. 2.25 is ample on my turbo EA82. 2" is ample on my 250 ci that does 30mph per 1000rpm. EA82 will do 3000rpm at 60 mph. 2" should be overkill for 1800 EA82. and 1/4" more clearance :)
Degrease it twice before pulling engine out. Hmm 4Lo could have some useful gears in it for towing...it is awesome in the EA82T in the wet :evil:

Run some injector cleaner.
Thermo fan could do with a 50mm piece of ally angle to mount to bottom of radiator using fan shroud bolt holes, top of DC12SL then reach to top frame, redill, bolt and yummy. Mine will get a second DC12SL for the turbo side one day.

Speed up install process by ordering a week in advance new rad hoses CH2603 and CH2604. Cut the old ones to speed up engine out like wreckers do.

Make sure reco is the twin port mpfi heads not single port carby! That'd be a doozy !!

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:02 pm

Thanks mate!

225 mm it is.

Might leave the thermo until I get to SA.

2" exhaust sounds like it's the way to go.

I triple checked with the guy and he assures me it an MPFI motor.

Cheers

Phil

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Keep the Y pipe/headers the same diameter and you'll keep your torque, 2" or so cat back is ample and a straight through muffler.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:51 pm

is it a full reco engine you are getting or just a good second hand one ? If the latter, a heap of seals and gaskets will be handy....

PhilsWagon

Post by PhilsWagon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:28 pm

It's actually a low km import, and the donor car I stripped a few weeks ago came with a full VRS kit so hopefully should have what I need.

Cheers

Phil

Return to “Subaru Chat”