ej22 converted vortex

Having issues with your ride ? Ask away in here ...
Davidov

Post by Davidov » Wed May 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Replacing the crank angle sensor (i think thats it, the one under the alternator) fixed engine performance problems for me, wasnt stuttering or anything but.

Im thinking your problem sounds like either fuel or air intake.

Have you done a compression test on each cylinder?
MY03 Outback JDM Turbo Conversion
Taza: "Is this phone quad cam?"

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Wed May 23, 2012 6:00 pm

i have done fuel, no problems there...
comp test might be might next stop, i've got a ej25 in the shed if this ej22 is bad

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 23, 2012 6:24 pm

I am still following, but your vid is verrrry slow to load my way so, don't know if your scan tool got you any result ?????

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Wed May 23, 2012 7:05 pm

well i can recomend anyone running a obdI ej22 car should make this cable, faults are so easy to see in real time and stored codes. plus you can clear faults with the press of a button!

im going to comp test it and i really need to run the scan tool as its driving (need a friend to drive, not safe to do two things at once)

might end up with a dohc ej25 run by ej22 wiring ecu after all..... time will tell :)

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Thu May 24, 2012 12:59 pm

ok, well i fired it up with the scan tool connected again to day.

it starts fine and idles nicely untill you bring the revs up and hold them constant anywhere above 2000rpm. the the idle air control valve shows a fault and on releseing the pedal it drops to normal idle and the fault code goes out.

another thing i noticed, because i switched in a known auto ecu just to see what the scan tool read;
my ecu from a manual car said its a 90-91 4eat ecu- showed auto off in menu
and my known auto said its a 92 auto ecu- showed auto on in menu

so i guess there is more than the wiring to tell the ecu what it is.

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Thu May 24, 2012 4:59 pm

been a busy rainny day here in adelaide, poked around some more....

tryed 2 iacv electrical tops (the base moves freely) - no differant
tryed 2 o2 sensors (the spare i had was worse than the one in there!) - no differant
tryed 2 tps sensors - no differant

i then disconnected the tps and it would hold at any rpm with no problems, well other than high rpm on start up and i dont think its very wise to drive around with out the tps connected?

what could cause the iacv to fault, even though the problem isnt the iacv?

.....still need to comp test it, but it feels real strong

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 24, 2012 10:59 pm

I know I have read and followed, but , I do like your diagnostic tool , um engine oil grade ? you checked, changed it, getting lifter pump ? building up the revs, go to change a gear up and get probs after that ??

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Sun May 27, 2012 8:40 pm

oil is fine, changed that and filters once the engine was in.
the above is what it is doing now.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 27, 2012 9:41 pm

it is a bit like the EA82 mpfi diagnostic reason - "solenoid is sticked to open, or sticked to shut" where I have replaced solenoids with working ones - work with a battery hooked up and suck blow check thing happening fixed code. Can you disconnect IACV electrically and get an improvement in running and reporting, or fisiclly block it off as a diagnostic measure ?

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 pm

It looks like your oil pressure - top left - is wired in the wrong way, that's a bit low!

As for the real issue this photo doesn't tell me much :???:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Wed May 30, 2012 6:49 pm

its actually a video bennie, click it and have a look :)

i have un pluged the tps and it will hold revs but not the iacv, i have however tryed removing the iacv solenoid but leaving it conected to the loom. holding the iacv shut with no change from memory.

i'll have another look on the weekend

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Wed May 30, 2012 6:51 pm

and the needle has fallen off i think, been like that since i got it..... water temp is by after market gauge

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 31, 2012 6:44 pm

shuffbag wrote:its actually a video bennie, click it and have a look :)
Well I'll be, that's pretty good! What's the program you've got there and where can I get a copy - and what does it plug in with?? probably won't work on a mac though :(
shuffbag wrote:i have un pluged the tps and it will hold revs but not the iacv, i have however tryed removing the iacv solenoid but leaving it conected to the loom. holding the iacv shut with no change from memory.
You don't want to remove the solenoid as this will change it's settings - I don't think a lot of people know how to adjust the IACV settings.

Two things I'm thinking it could be: 1st: The IACV is sticky, remove it and clean as they crude up with crap from what I've read, Venom did it with his EJ or EZ, can't remember which one - but you'll need a new gasket for it as it usually shags out as you remove it, I think there's also a coolant passage associated with the IACV too, so be aware of coolant loss.

2nd: A dirty TPS - what *could* be happening is the TPS contact tabs are dirty as are the slide contacts, this could be resulting in the contact area building heat and creating the issue. Remove the TPS, drill the two brass coloured tabs on the back of it, remove the cover and clean the contact points with some sort of cleaner solvent that doesn't leave any residue. Replace cover (it should click on), re-install TPS, set it where it needs to be then put a cable tie around it to make sure the cover isn't lost, I've lost one before from this...

The only other thing I can think it might be, and it's a long shot is that little device that's got 5 to 7 wires going to/from it that used to mount on the EJ's firewall prior to conversion - where is this located? I'm not sure if it's got any thing to do with it but I thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

shuffbag

Post by shuffbag » Thu May 31, 2012 8:30 pm

i think your talking about the ignighter? i know i have a second one around...

iacv moves free and fine, i've also tryed 2 tps's but i might open my spare and clean it. i have maf cleaner that should do the trick.
im going to replace all vac lines in case its getting unmetered air in there.

it is a b10 scan tool, not sure if it will work with a mac. build the cord and buy a real old laptop (can get them for $50, dont need much battery life for this)
i made the simple cable and it works fine check this link.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/b10scan/

Return to “Trouble Shooting”